Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2000 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 engine swap

What years 4.0's are a direct swap? I have heard conflicting answers some say 99 up some say the mid 90's will work. I'm finding several cheap 92-97 but nothing newer that I'm will to pay what they want for the number of miles that are on them
Old 11-27-2016, 05:17 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

99-04 WJs have relocated motor mounts so earlier 4.0s won't fit. The way to tell the proper ones are the oil filter is mounted on the side of the block and it has a coil pack instead of a distributor. IDK for sure, but people tell me a 4.0 from an XJ or TJ don't fit either. They had to move the oil filter because it interfered with the new mounts.

The reason for the change was to move the mounts rearward to balance the 4.7 properly. It seems to me a bit extreme to change the block on an engine that was going to be dropped in 5 years anyhow. Why not just put an extra set of holes in the frame?

Keep in mind the 99-01s have that infamous 0331 head that has a habit of cracking and your options are limited, UNLESS the head has already been changed. At the current time there are several options for heads. The "Alabama" head that's no longer being made, the "Clearwater" head from Odessa, and Mopar's "TUPY" head made from 02-04.

My 2000 WJ 4.0 has 203K miles on it and I've put 85K on it since I got it. It's had a head change, but other than that no major problems yet. It's using a little oil, but compression is amazing and oil pressure is excellent. Contrary to popular belief, my 42re trans is still shifting solidly with no slipping and the pan was clean on the last fluid change. This vehicle is used for residential newspaper delivery and is heavily loaded 3 nights a week. A 4-part Sunday paper gives me around 800 lbs additional load.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-27-2016 at 05:45 PM.