Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2.7 crd cylinder head cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2.7 crd cylinder head cover removal

Hello everyone

Hoping somone can help although i dont think the 2.7crd was an option outside of europe so not sure how many eurpoeans are around on this site...

i have a Grand cherokee 2.7 crd (2005) which has the merc engine in. Injector 3 was leaking and it turned out to be the thread inside the cylinder head for the injector pinch bolt had stripped. I have used helicoils and the like before so pretty confident i can drill the hole out and put a thread insert in, but to get the cylinder head cover off, you need to remove all 5 injectors and getting 4 & 5 injectors out you need to either lower the engine or make a hole in a panel under the windscreen wiper mechanism. Elected for making a hole as it seemed easier. After 8 hours managed to get all injectors out but then found i am struggling to remove the cylinder head coverdue to space..

so my first question is has anyone managed to get this cover off without lowering the engine, ie is there some knack like standing on one foot, with a tub full of lube and persistance or is my only option to lower the engine in which case do i need to disonnect everything to lower the engine or considering i only need about 10mm to get the cover out, can i remove the engine support mounts and lower it carefully enough with everything connected to get the 10mm clearance required. ive tried serching on lowering the engine and not managed to find anything..

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Having to do this myself as car isnt worth more than the repair if done by a garage so im in alot of unknown terriory which it comes to working on this beast...
Old 07-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Can't answer your question dude, but can you tell me why do you have to take the cylinder head cover off to drill the hole?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

only way is to remove the motor mounts and lower the engine down onto the cradle, the rest becomes super easy at that point. Remember to use "red" lock tight on the thread insert and let it sit for a few hours or the insert may not hold up. I also believe that the hold down bolts for the injectors are only to be about 56 inch pounds of torque