Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1999-2004 Header Panel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1999-2004 Header Panel Problem

The header (the plastic contraption bolted across the front that the headlights snap in to, etc.) on 1999-2004 GC seems to have a problem of breaking at the top flange at each end (see A). I'm in the process of repairing crash damage (left front) on a 2000 GC and purchased a donor vehicle for parts and both ends are busted on the donor, so I'll need some type of fix for this moving forward.

The header on the right side of the damaged vehicle is intact so I temporarily installed it (2 bolts) on the donor to see what I could come up with for a fix (other than metal plumbers strapping or duct tape). The flange - or whatever you call it (see B) - is shaped to fit on the framing behind it and loops up at a 45 angle, loops around the edge and then straightens and flattens on topside to bolt to frame. If bolted properly with flanges intact, and the flange bolted to the top of the frame as designed, the rest of the header in the area sits off the frame 1/4 inch or so so using self-tapping screws didn't seem like the best fix. A ready made metal strap bolted in place of the broken plastic would be ideal.

I noticed a rectangular slot in the front of the fender that the edge of the header rests against and a little "over" when installed. I don't recall nor make note of anything being removed from this slot, so I used a 1/4 x 3/4 hex bolt and simply bolted the header down that way (see C).

It doesn't provide the designed support immediately behind the headlight assembly (see D) but seems to holds it pretty secure. If I can't find some type of thick metal strap (not plumbers strapping) I can form to fit in place of the flange, I think I'll just go with the hex bolt.

PS - I wonder if removing the light assemblies to change bulbs, etc., breaks these flanges more than anything else?

PSS - yes, I know the headlight sockets are missing two places.
Attached Thumbnails 1999-2004 Header Panel Problem-.jpg   1999-2004 Header Panel Problem-b.jpg   1999-2004 Header Panel Problem-c.jpg   1999-2004 Header Panel Problem-d.jpg