Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1998 Grand Cherokee Limited: Heat Core and Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9 litre V8
Unhappy 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited: Heat Core and Transmission

Hello All,

I am new to this site. My jeep has 181,000 miles on it. This year I've spent $2005.00 on repairs.

This is what I paid for:
Replace Oil Drain Nut, Replace Radiator Cap, Replace Drive shaft seal, Replace Rear Trunk Shocks, Oil Change and Filter, Replace New Radiator and Coolant, Replaced front and back pads, and front rotors, Replaced upper and lower radiator hoses and transmission pan gasket and oil, and four new tires.

Was this a reasonable price for all the work done?

Now, I'm having issues with my transmission (one incident I put it on reverse and it started going forward), heat or a/c core (smoke is coming out from my vents), and I know I have to tend to my power steering leak.

My question is, when should I give up repairing this car and get a new one?

Lastly, the estimate I got for my power steering reapair $350 and replace heat core $850.

I'm a single mother and don't make that much. But, I really don't want a monthly car payment.

Someone, please advise!!!

Thanks for your time.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

Ouch... Unless you got a nice set of MTR's or somethin you paid to mich
Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output, Alabama Cylinder head, 60mm bored TB

Welcome

and thats too much. Are you going to the dealership for these repairs? They usually will charge you the most. Also, since you are female they might take advantage of you. My friend was told once by a mechanic she needed a new engine. When in reality her engine was perfectly fine. They wanted to charge her 2500 bucks. I went down there and reamed them out for taking advantage of her. It does stink fixing things but its always cheaper than a new vehicle. Most of the repairs seem fairly small things like hoses or radiator caps. Tires would be the most expensive but even then you can get tires for way cheaper.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:35 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Need a bit more info before I say too much or not.. Replace drive shaft seal, do you mean the rear seal on the transmission, or are we talking about the rear axle seals? Also what type of tires did you get. It seems a bit steep, but need more info. All the other items you mentioned with parts and labour would come to around $700 area, so it come down to what "Drive shaft seal" are you speaking of, and what tires you have now.

Now as for the power steering leak.. what did they say it was?? and the Heater core.. well that is a rather big job, and any shop will charge a fair amount, but a dealership will charge you even more.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:14 AM

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone to the reply to my thread.

My tires were $532.00. As far as the drive shaft, I was just copying the receipt. I'm writing in the dark so I'll have to give you the details on that later.

What are MTR's?

So, one of the reasons I pay so much because I don't pay them right away after the repair. They let me pay them in installments. I post date checks and they repair my car in good faith that I'll have the money. Do other places do this? Many mechanics I go to won't. So I settled with these guys.

So for my heater core, there's a mist that comes out from my vents and there is a slow leak under my car.

What's a good price for replacing the heater core and power steering pump (been slow leaking for awhile now).

Can someone give me guidelines on what to ask a mechanic and what to look for?

I have a 2 year old little girl, and I want to make sure we're safe. But, not spend more than I need to.

It seems as though that I've spent too much already. What should I pay for labor?

I'm so ignorant. Please help. I love my Jeep but I just want it to be fixed and last me a couple more years.

HELP!!! Thank you for your time.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 AM

Thanks everyone to the reply to my thread.

My tires were $532.00. As far as the drive shaft, I was just copying the receipt. I'm writing in the dark so I'll have to give you the details on that later.

What are MTR's?

So, one of the reasons I pay so much because I don't pay them right away after the repair. They let me pay them in installments. I post date checks and they repair my car in good faith that I'll have the money. Do other places do this? Many mechanics I go to won't. So I settled with these guys.

So for my heater core, there's a mist that comes out from my vents and there is a slow leak under my car.

What's a good price for replacing the heater core and power steering pump (been slow leaking for awhile now).

Can someone give me guidelines on what to ask a mechanic and what to look for?

I have a 2 year old little girl, and I want to make sure we're safe. But, not spend more than I need to.

It seems as though that I've spent too much already. What should I pay for labor?

I'm so ignorant. Please help. I love my Jeep but I just want it to be fixed and last me a couple more years.

HELP!!! Thank you for your time.