Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1998 Grand Cherokee Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool 1998 Grand Cherokee Battery Drain

Hey Guys,

Lots of issues with this Jeep. I replaced NSS, Battery, Starter because it would not start. I'm no mechanic, that's for sure. Watched a lot of repair videos and read posts.

Previously, when I replaced starter and other parts, the Jeep ran great for 11 days. Then, tried to start next day. Clicking sound...Starter... Replaced it at autostore, they said it's not starter. Got new one anyway.

To run the test I disconnected the starter, then I hooked up ohm meter, set it for 10m ohms, took off negative cable, and put meter in between cable and battery post. No drain...I was curious and hook neg cable back up and no power drain, (watching hood doom light). Switched to Volts, tested battery, said 12.67, kept voltmeter on it and was slow drain to 12.59?

I also heard it could be faulty/lose body control module fuse?? Who knows?

Look guys, I'm no expert, just trying to save some money, but, this is out of my scope...

thanks,
David D.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Check battery with load tester.
Is the battery new or used replacement?
If fails load test, warranty.

At park, not running, Check your volts every 15 min for about 1-2 hr, continuous dropping?
If yes, somewhere a load. Will have to begin tracing with test light probe
Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Have you tried replacing the negative (-) battery terminal? My '02 WJ will die when sitting more than 2 days without a start, and when I checked the negative battery terminal when I was jumping it, it was loose and didn't make good contact. I assume if you've tried replacing the battery and other bits you also tried replacing the battery terminals, but if you haven't, you should try that, because a bad negative (-) battery terminal WILL cause battery drain.