Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 ZJ overhead odometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Diesel
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.1L Renault "J8S"
Default 1997 ZJ overhead odometer problem

Hello everyone.

I have this bizarre issue with my overhead odometer. I refilled the gas tank and I wanted to reset it. It resets fine and continues counting from 0. BUT, when I turn the engine off and then back on again the odometer returns to the value it had BEFORE I reset it!

I have tried to reset it twice, turned it on with both buttons pressed but it always returns to the value it was before my reset when I turn it on again...

Does anyone know what is up?

As a side note, I had battery problems with teh ZJ and it sat for a night without a battery... could that have affected the odometer somehow?

Many thanks in advance...!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

IDK what to tell you. All I know is the tripometer shouldn't do that. Does the tripometer below the A/C controls (if your Jeep has it, with buttons reading Set and Select) reset itself as well?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Cyriac
Hello everyone.

I have this bizarre issue with my overhead odometer. I refilled the gas tank and I wanted to reset it. It resets fine and continues counting from 0. BUT, when I turn the engine off and then back on again the odometer returns to the value it had BEFORE I reset it!

I have tried to reset it twice, turned it on with both buttons pressed but it always returns to the value it was before my reset when I turn it on again...

Does anyone know what is up?

As a side note, I had battery problems with teh ZJ and it sat for a night without a battery... could that have affected the odometer somehow?

Many thanks in advance...!
I had a '97 ZJ Limited Orvis that never had that problem. Maybe when you reset the overhead trip odometer, then shut off the engine the computer cancels thinking the trip is over, IDO. When I refueled my '97 I always reset the odometer on the dash (with the speedo) then I reset the overhead trip odometer. Maybe me doing both at the same time is why mine never cancelled/reset itself, I can't say.