Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Cigar Lighter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Cigar Lighter Problem

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am trying to troubleshoot a cigar lighter problem and looking for suggestions. Let me explain what I looked at so far...

1) Fuse #2 - located behind passenger side kick panel tested good. 12 VDC on both sides of the fuse when plugged into its socket

2) Cigar Lighter relay located in same area as the cigar light fuse is in place and seated well withing it's socket.

3) Checked for voltage from ground to the center of the cigar lighter socket with the ignition on (vehicle running) and no voltage was present.

Before bending my body like a pretzel to remove the bezel to expose the ciger lighter and back trace the wire, I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this problem with a 1997 Grand Cherokee.

I search using Google and I seen many postings from various forums, but reading closely people were responding with answers for Jeeps of other years and models (which are different than a 1997 model) and to be honest some people were blowing smoke out their azz without a clue w.t.f they were talking about.

Thank you in advance
Old 03-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, the only reason I would think a cigar lighter would need a relay is to turn it on and off with the ignition, THEREFORE I would say the relay isn't functioning. Check the number printed on top of it and see if there is another one nearby that you can swap to see if that's the problem. This would be the same procedure you can do with the ASD relay. The headlight relays are the same part number and work the same, so you can substitute the 2 to see if the relay is good or not. I owned a '97 ZJ and I think the horn relay would be the same.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-24-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Good suggestion, Dave... I did as you suggested and swapped the fog light relay (I already know it works) which is the same relay part number with the cigar lighter relay. Unfortunately I still had no power at the cigar light.

Thanks for the good suggestion.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

All right, try taking the fuse out and starting the car (or at least turning the ignition on), then jumper the fuse or try inserting it just enough to make contact. You should hear the relay click when contact is made. That way you can see if the problem is in the power supply contacts or the wiring to the lighter socket. It may even be in the "trigger" circuit, the one that makes the relay pull in. Also, swap the fuse for a known good one. I've seen fuses melt just enough to break the circuit but still look good. This is all "electrics 101" trying to locate the circuit interruption.

I've been told the cigar lighter socket can be damaged by some devise plugs. IDK if this is it. I had that happen with mine but I can still use it for aux power, it just won't function as a lighter anymore.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-24-2015 at 03:12 PM.