Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 Grand Cherokee Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Engine: 4lt
Question 1997 Grand Cherokee Immobilizer

I have been reading previous posts on problems with 1997 Grand Cherokee immobilizers, but the latest I could see was 2009. I have a 1997 model, 6 cylinder auto, right-hand drive (imported into Australia new). I have had problems with the immobilizer previously and sorted it a few months ago by getting a new key fob(expensive!). It seemed to solve the problem for a while. However it has re-occurred. I think that the 'reader' for the immobilizer (which I believe is located in the roof console) may be also faulty. My question is this - is it possible to remove/disconnect the immobilizer altogether and simply use the key to lock and unlock the car? The car is getting older and is located in a quiet area of Australia (Tasmania) so is not prone to theft so I would be happy to just use the key. I would just like to disconnect the immobilizer altogether. Can that be done without affecting other electrical issues in the car?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

It is possible, but it takes reprogramming the computer to ignore it. I've heard guys who build off-road rigs get their computers to ignore it, but the process is beyond my knowledge. Why don't you check with the Cherokee (XJ) guys and see what they come up with?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I have the same model as you do, US, but when I have the immobilizer kick in is when it fails to see I have properly unlocked it. It starts for a second then shuts down. My issue turned out to be the key switch on the back side of the door lock cylinder.