Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 Cherokee stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 Cherokee stalling problem

My 1997 Cherokee Grand Lorredo, 6 c., 4.0 began to stall at stop signs, then started stalling while driving (even on the freeway, it would just die). Took it to the dealer, they replaced the cam shaft sensor, and the crank shaft sensor, but ended up replacing the computer with a rebuilt one.They didn't charge us for the last fix (the computer) because we had brought it back 3 times and they had "fixed" it (and we had paid for it), but those fixes didn't work. Basically they couldn't figure out what was wrong so they replaced the whole computer.
It worked fine for a short while (about 8 months) but is doing it again. And now it won't always start. We replaced the coil and that didn't work either. It turns over, but doesn't start up, but not every time. Once it gets started it drives pretty well, but we don't know if it stalls because we don't drive it very far, we are afraid of it stalling on the freeway. It idles rough, we have to give it a lot of gas initially. It doesn't seem to need gas, it floods if I give it too much. The battery is fine.
Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Also, if we replace the computer again (we don't want to go to the dealer & pay them again) would you recommend another rebuilt one or a used one from a junk yard or a new one? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I would check for any stored codes, Jeep Horizons :: View topic - Jeep Computer codes (OBDI & OBDII) and then check your ground cables.
I'm at a loss here. Hopefully soldierjunkie will see this.
And Welcome to CF!

Last edited by ol"blue; 05-28-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks, I have printed out the codes and will give them a try. Best Wishes, Joanne
Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Let us know what's going on.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Engine: 4.0
Default may have found stalling problem

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee that had a stalling problem too. I think I may have found the problem. Check the 3 ground wires that are mounted to the bracket that attaches the coil to the engine block. also check the ground wire mounted to the side of the engine block just behind the distributor. Took these apart and cleaned them, haven't had a problem since. It's only been a few weeks, but it runs much smoother.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Sounds like a bad or going bad fuel pump to me. Plus, the steelership has been through all the electrical componants that can cause this problem. There is a really simple pressure check you can do to verify it good or bad.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ol"blue
I would check for any stored codes, Jeep Horizons :: View topic - Jeep Computer codes (OBDI & OBDII) and then check your ground cables.
I'm at a loss here. Hopefully soldierjunkie will see this.
And Welcome to CF!
Originally Posted by jouzts77
I have a 96 Grand Cherokee that had a stalling problem too. I think I may have found the problem. Check the 3 ground wires that are mounted to the bracket that attaches the coil to the engine block. also check the ground wire mounted to the side of the engine block just behind the distributor. Took these apart and cleaned them, haven't had a problem since. It's only been a few weeks, but it runs much smoother.
I'm guessing the OP's problem is a ground issue also.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my inquiry about my 97 Cherokee. We tried the two methods for getting codes and nothing happened. No code, no nothing. Is that unusual? Next step is to clean the three ground wires that were suggested. After that we are going to try to replace the computer again. I am shopping around for a junk yard computer, it has a rebuilt one now. I will keep you posted. Thanks again, Joanne
Old 06-07-2009, 02:03 PM

im having the same problum with my 99 gc please if u figure it out let us know.but i dont think its the comp im leaning towords the groung thing on mine too i will check it out tommarow and repost
Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jjkkiss@***.net
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my inquiry about my 97 Cherokee. We tried the two methods for getting codes and nothing happened. No code, no nothing. Is that unusual? Next step is to clean the three ground wires that were suggested. After that we are going to try to replace the computer again. I am shopping around for a junk yard computer, it has a rebuilt one now. I will keep you posted. Thanks again, Joanne
Does your CEL light work? No burned out bulb? If you performed the procedure correctly and didn't get any codes then you have a short or another problem as I have no trouble getting a code 55 on my '97 ZJ. Did you try sending soldierjunkie a PM? He's one of the Ace trouble-shooters on here.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 PM

my 2.5 85 jeep cherokee stalls at stops and some sharp turns,i put a new carburetor which fixed some of the problem, but it still cuts out. it has 72k miles on it. i checked for vac leaks but couldnt find any problems with them.

help
thankyou
Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by time2kill21
my 2.5 85 jeep cherokee stalls at stops and some sharp turns,i put a new carburetor which fixed some of the problem, but it still cuts out. it has 72k miles on it. i checked for vac leaks but couldnt find any problems with them.

help
thankyou
You might need to adjust the float level.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Its your PCM.. you need to get it reflashed or replace it.
my buddys ZJ would die on the highway or driving on a small trail.
No codes no nothing. we thought it was the new amp, but when we disconnected it , it would still stall out.
PCM or ECM however they word it.

If you read up on it you ll see alot of problems are cured with new pcm's replacement.

Mark