Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee.. HELP!!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee.. HELP!!

I'm looking at a 96 jeep.. its got a 5.2l v8... the guy that has it evidently blew the engine that was in it... he got another engine out of a jeep that had a rollover... he said the engine ran good and heard it before he got it.. the guy payed some other guy to put the engine back in it.. i'm guessing he's not mechanically inclined at all... but he thinks it is out of time (plug wires not where they are supposed to be).. I went and looked at it yesterday and its not got the factory air intake bullcrap, its got the aftermarket cold air... did not have it on though.. he started it up and it idle'd pretty rough and sounded like there was vacuum leaks pretty bad... then he tried to give it gas and it died and he only tried once to start it back up and it didn't start..

do you know where on the engine there are vacuum hoses? and i looked up the firing order and i got 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.. is that right.. and on the drivers side it goes 1-3-5-7 and pass. side is 2-4-6-8 right?

also do you know what else could be the problem that i could check without taking anything apart.. i thought about checking to see if you can hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key forward...

the jeep is pretty descent looking... its a light grey/silver color... has a 4 1/2 inch lift (shocks/springs etc. look pretty new)... its has 31x10.5 tires with about 50% tread left... the driver door drops when opened and don't shut very easy... how much would that cost to fix?

any info. would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks a lot!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by onebad86gt
I'm looking at a 96 jeep.. its got a 5.2l v8...

do you know where on the engine there are vacuum hoses? and i looked up the firing order and i got 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.. is that right.. and on the drivers side it goes 1-3-5-7 and pass. side is 2-4-6-8 right?
There are a lot of vacuum lines that could be off or missing causing the rough running problems. And the firing order and cylinder location you listed is correct.

the jeep is pretty descent looking... its a light grey/silver color... has a 4 1/2 inch lift (shocks/springs etc. look pretty new)... its has 31x10.5 tires with about 50% tread left... the driver door drops when opened and don't shut very easy... how much would that cost to fix?
There's a kit to fix the hinge pins if that's the problem.

any info. would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks a lot!!!
Answers are highlighted.
And Welcome to CF!
Dan

Last edited by ol"blue; 03-10-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Answers are highlighted.
And Welcome to CF!
Dan

thanks a ton!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

How much does he want for it?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 AM

he has 2 grand on it... but i'm thinking about tryin to talk him down..
Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 AM
CF Veteran

he has 2 grand on it... but i'm thinking about tryin to talk him down..
That's a good price for a nice rust-free ZJ if it doesn't have any major issues. IMO
Can you post up any pics of it?
Dan
Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 PM

Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM

thats the only picture i have.. but it is rust free all the way around.. the guy that changed the engine pulled the headlights and grill out and broke some stuff though...

the guy that has it seems to be straight forward on it... i even asked him if i could go there sat. and try to time it right and he still trade and he said that was fine... so i'll give it a shot and see what happens..
Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

That looks pretty good. I wouldn't fix the timing though, regardless of what he says, before I take possession. He's apt to hear it running smooth and back out or raise the price. JMO
Dan
Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 PM

idk.. we'll see when we get there i guess...

btw, do you have any pics of your omni's? I have an 89 lol!!

That looks pretty good. I wouldn't fix the timing though, regardless of what he says, before I take possession. He's apt to hear it running smooth and back out or raise the price. JMO
Dan
Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

idk.. we'll see when we get there i guess...

btw, do you have any pics of your omni's? I have an 89 lol!!
I'm in Mich. on an extended visit using my brothers lap-top and can't access my files from here. The GLHT's are in storage in Tenn.
Dan
Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

Just a thought, is it showing the check engine light? If it is check what the codes are. Good looking ZJ! I wouldn't fix it in his possesion like stated earlier. If it gets fixed and runs he may want more money for it IMO.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:15 PM

I didn't even think to check and see if it was on or not.. god i'm so used to carbureted engines lol.. and if he decided he wanted more for it i could always just beat his a$$ lol...

Originally Posted by country_boy454
Just a thought, is it showing the check engine light? If it is check what the codes are. Good looking ZJ! I wouldn't fix it in his possesion like stated earlier. If it gets fixed and runs he may want more money for it IMO.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:16 PM

well maybe you could help me with a problem on my omni.. i was driving it last year and the left front tire started popping when i would turn it.. then it just stopped going..if you put it in drive it sounded like it was in neutral.. i was told it was the cv joint?? could that be it?? you can push it in park too...

I'm in Mich. on an extended visit using my brothers lap-top and can't access my files from here. The GLHT's are in storage in Tenn.
Dan
Old 03-12-2010, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

well maybe you could help me with a problem on my omni.. i was driving it last year and the left front tire started popping when i would turn it.. then it just stopped going..if you put it in drive it sounded like it was in neutral.. i was told it was the cv joint?? could that be it?? you can push it in park too...
Sounds like you've got a broken CV joint on the axle shaft. Look under the front end and check. I'm sure you know the Omni axles go between the front wheels and the transmission. They run transversely, it's front drive only. If the CV is the problem, just buy the complete axle assy. from the auto parts store. They're cheap and a lot easier than replacing the CV's for a novice. Get you a FSM or a Haynes manual for the Omni as it'll have the needed repair and torque specs you're going to need.
Axles are less than $70.00, but a shop will charge you enough for you to buy a new set of tools. Probably around $250.00 last I heard.
Dan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee.. HELP!!