Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Question 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8 is just causing me a nightmare now. I live in Florida, so cold weather is never really an issue but the other day it was freezing out at 4am and I went to start my car and I heard click click and no crank. Of course the security went off and I had to get it jumped (however there was no spark). After I got it jumped it seemed fine but my radio wasn't turning on, which was strange to me. After I started driving on the road I came to a stop light and it shut off on me and I had to get jumped again but this time it wouldn't jump. My dad had to take his car and push it out of the street and then when we tried jumping it again later it started but died after backing up. We noticed it didn't died after keeping the foot on the gas pedal keeping the rpm between 1 and 2 (I hope i'm using the write words for this stuff, its confusing to me). It stayed on for a while and we decided to take it to the shop. They said there was nothing wrong with my car and it's been running for the last 2 days fine. This isn't very reassuring to me, as if I'm going down the road again at a populated time I don't want to go through that hassle again. Also, I've noticed sometimes when I first start my car, I go from reverse to drive it shuts off on me (it's rare though). We did recently change the fuel pump about 5 months ago. I'm stuck on this and wondering if the cold weather got the best of us or if anyone else has any ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by cale; 01-10-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Did you get your alternator tested? AAA did that to my dad's 95 5.2 Orvis with their battery service.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Welcome to the forum!

This topic shows my testing of my generator per the FSM.

The battery could be defective. The important electrical connections could be defective, needing cleaning and tightening.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

If it's ticking when you turn the key on then your ASD relay is probably bad. Had the same problem last week when it was cold out. Cost about $10 for a new one and it's located in the fuse panel next to the battery.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm thinking battery cable clamps. Clean them well and make sure they are tight on the posts. If they are still the molded lead ones, change them to bolt-on steel ones. The lead ones can stretch and not make good contact even when they feel tight. Bad electrical power connections can cause all kinds of weird things to happen.