Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1994 5.2 stalling/hesitation when cold

Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1994 5.2 stalling/hesitation when cold

1994 5.2 175k
all the problems occur after within 10 minutes of driving the jeep:
* stalls, as though a switch was thrown. no stuttering, no bucking, no warning...it just dies. It will crank right back up and drive with no problems.
* hesitation/bucking when running around 40 mph (city roads) occasionally until engine warms up.
*occasional rough idle at start up.

Within the past three years i have replaced the IAC. crank sensor, cam sensor, cap, rotor and wires and coil.( all these parts came from Autozone). Yesterday i tested the TPS with volt meter and found no issues. ALso tried wiggling the PCM wires and unit while running to see if it stalls but nothing. Cleaned throttle body and ran seafoam thru brake booster.
once the engine has ran for 10 minutes or so it does fine. motor feels strong.
The stalling has only happened twice in the past 6 months, both times within a block of my house when leaving for work. The hesitation while driving is becoming more of a daily issue.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

You might want to get the PCM checked out. If the diagnosis comes back that you need to replace it, we're here for you.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:59 PM

after testing the sensors again I decided to remove the PCM. I found what I first thought were corroded male pins but soon discovered it was "dirt" or something in several of the pin pockets and on the pins. I cleaned these with contact cleaner, put it back together and have had no problems since.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

It is possible the three PCM capacitors have deteriorated making replacement a good choice.

Here is my PCM capacitor replacement.