Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1993 GC will not start. No cranking, clicking. Have full power.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1993 GC will not start. No cranking, clicking. Have full power.

Hi,
Hoping someone here can help me narrow down the issue here since money is a bit tight after the holidays.

Pulled into a parking lot and the gc had been running absolutely fine.
Was inside a store for about 45 minutes and when I came out, it wouldn't start.

Full lights, full 'electrical' power. Wipers did not run slower, nor did the lights dim when I turned the key in the ignition to start.

The problem seems to be with the ignition, it normall would have resistence to it would engage the starter, but the key just turns all the to start with no resistence?? There is no cranking, no clicking at all.

When I have the key in the 'on' position, and I press the transmission shifter button in, I hear loud clicking in the ignition area which I have never noticed before. I can actually see some slight movement in the key when I do that.

I thought it might be the neutral safety so I tried to start it in neutral, back in park, repeat, repeat. (Basically had a bit of a fit with the shifter) Still did not start.

Strange and not sure if it is connected. I thought it might be an issue with the alarm or something, so I went out and locked the doors and reopened them with the key on both drivers/passengers doors. When I got in put the key in the ignition, turned on lights, I noticed the O/D button light flashing on and off for a few seconds??
I also noticed that the steering wheel would not 'lock' when I removed the key and turned the wheel. Although I do not know if this was the case when I first attempted to start it or after 'something' broke.

Since it was EXTREMELY cold out, I called for a tow and got it sent to my local garage. However, I still am curious what it could be, or if I can make any suggestions to the mechanic tomorrow morning if it is blatantly obvious to them.

Any advice would be great, or if you need more info please let me know.

Thanks again!

Edit:
I just did some more searching and found this post https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/ign...problem-22694/
It looks similar to my issue where the ignition switch is acting up. Anyone change the key cylinder, etc to fix this?
Still looking for advice though.

Last edited by six30; 12-28-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Searched and found similar issue
Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Could be a bad neutral safety switch, bad battery connection, bad starter solenoid, any number of things.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default nogo

Do the lights dim when u crank ? If so r&r battery. Otherwise check 4 power at starter solenoid, should have 12 volts @ least from signal wire. Jump solenoid S terminal to power, if it cranks than ur not getting Ign. power to S terminal. If it cranks & does'nt start it's either no spark or no fuel. Pull a wire & check, if ok check rail pressure. Just push schraeder valve & try not 2 get it in ur eyes. Should B pretty simple.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

my 93 did exactly that last weekend, I suspected the theft circuit so sent it directly to the dealer was told they added a ground to the neutral safty and now all is good I don't understand but it works
Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 AM

Engine: 4.0L
Default update

It ended up being the ignition switch.
I guess for future reference, the key went from off to (past) the ON position with no resistance. Turning it past the ON position would have been when it should have engaged the starter.

Edited: Corrected. Thanks retreaded jeeper

Last edited by six30; 01-05-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

that would be the ignition switch not the cylinder
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 PM

Default 97 jeep cherokee sont start in Park

hi, don't know how to make a new post, sorry, new user. i have a 97 jeep cherokee that often won't start when in park. if i put it in nuetral, it starts right up. should i fix this or just use the nuetral work around>