Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

06 WK. Replaced rear brakes. Now have knocking noise. Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 06 WK. Replaced rear brakes. Now have knocking noise. Help

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I just created this account because I don't currently own a Jeep, My mom does (2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee). I've done the Brakes on my car (2011 Ford Edge) a couple of times, & on a buddy's car and never had any issues. Figured I'd do them instead of her shop that wanted $550 for the rears -which she didn't really have.

Her brakes are better, but now she has a knocking noise that at first she said sounded like it was coming from the front of the car, now she says it sounds like it's coming from the center of the car. I know car noises travel.. so who really knows where it could be coming from. At first she explained it as a click, a cluck (like a duck), a thump like she had a flat. She now has officially said it is definitely a knock, lol.

-She says it continues to knock and gets louder as she drives and increases speed.

She doesn't feel it in the brake pedal, or the steering wheel and she has no vibrations and her car isn't shaking.

She took it to JiffyLube who at first told her it was her sway bar links, they then told her it wasn't and that she needed front brakes...which she does..but not nearly as bad as she needed rears. I think they're just trying to sell her front brakes, I've never heard of brakes knocking because they're bad. Grinding, squealing, rubbing, yeah..but not knocking. (Unless I'm completely wrong?)

What do you think it could be? She lives about an hour away from me, so I'm going back down Monday to check it out because I really think it's one of her lug nuts. Her driver's side rear wheels lugs were only hand tight when I started, I think jiffy lube forgot to tighten it when they rotated her tires a few weeks ago. Not sure though.

-And one of the lugs on the rear passenger was almost toast when I was putting it back on. I think whoever put it on last might've started with an impact and cross threaded it and it didn't go back on very well.

-Or maybe it could be one of her calipers, maybe I didn't tighten it up enough? Even though I really think it's that lug nut.

Also, Is it possible that me jacking her car up could've broke a sway bar link or put too much weight/strain on another suspension component? I jacked up one wheel at a time, with the stock scissor jack, on the axle tube as close to the tire as I could get (which is exactly where the 06WK owners manual says to jack it up) and then placed a jack stand. Finished one, Lowered it back down and then did the other side.

She doesn't drive all that much and she lives in mass. so everything is super rusted & I'm sure her control arms, sway links, tie rods etc. are all past due to be changed - it looks like it hasn't been touched since 06, an old couple owned it before her & her scissor jack looked brand spanking new. I just have no clue what it could be, which is why Im going down again so I can drive it around the block and listen for it, take the rear wheels off & double check everything I did to see if I can pinpoint what it is.

Sorry for the huge back story...just trying to give as much background info as possible. I just feel bad that I did her brakes to help her out, which it did, her brakes work great now, haha... but now she has this knock.🤦. Wish I never even touched the thing now.

hope I'll go down and it'll be something dumb like I left my caliper hanger under the car or something, but I doubt it.

Any help is appreciated.

TLDR; Did moms rear brakes, now has knocking sound that gets louder with speed. No vibrations, shaking, can't feel it in pedal or steering. What could it be? Lug nuts? Loose calipers? Or did jacking up the rusty WK maybe cause a suspension part to break?