Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'06 Grand Cherokee Laredo issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2006
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.7L V6
Default '06 Grand Cherokee Laredo issues

Hello everyone, I'm brand new around here. I hope I'm posting this in the right spot and in the right manner. If I'm wrong, please let me know and I apologize in advance. With that said, let me get down to it..

The problem I have is whenever I push the gas pedal to accelerate from a dead stop, or even just moving slowly, I hear loud pops coming from under the car. The harder I push the gas pedal down, the quicker and louder the pops, or snaps, get. From what I've read it is possibly the chain in the transfer case making the noise because it is loose? I've also read that it could be U joints that are bad. I was unable to locate those while the wheels were still on the car, so I'm going to look more thoroughly once I jack it up. UPDATE: My friend came over and we were able to locate the U joints, however they are fine so that is not the problem.

The 2nd problem, and final from what I remember at the moment, is when I am driving and I get to certain speeds or RPM's a very bad vibration is felt throughout the car. It feels like its coming from the back, and it's almost like I'm driving on the rough outer part of the highway (the strip that is used to wake up a driver that is dozing off and going off the road). Hopefully that makes sense also.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I'm no mechanic by any means and I've got no prior knowledge or schooling when it comes to working on cars. That being said, I'm sorry for the wording I used in this post, hopefully someone can make sense of it and give me some tips or insight as to what is wrong and/or what to do. Again, thanks for your time and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by JeepinItRealSince88; 08-06-2016 at 07:42 PM.