Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

05 Grand Cherokee, QDII, Noise In Turns

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 05 Grand Cherokee, QDII, Noise In Turns

My neighbor has brought me his 05 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7L with the QDII system and 147,000 miles. Jeep is completely stock down to the tires. His complaint was that it made a binding noise in turns like truck stuck in 4x4 in dry asphalt.

I have test drove it and the only noise is at full steering lock on dry asphalt. Even a 1/4 turn before lock is noise free, and it is also noise free on any slick surface such as snow. At full lock there is a slight moaning from the front end and sounds like it is mostly from the tires (it is not the power steering pump, it is coming from the front axle/tires). I can not feel any real binding in the steering or suspension. He has taken it to a shop and they told him he needs a new front axle...I cant find anything wrong with the axle. I have drove it on the snow/ice and the awd seems to be engaging fine. I could not break the tires loose on ice for anything. ABS also seems to work fine...I have read that the QDII system uses the wheel speed sensors for input, but that seems like it is working judging from the ABS.

I just about feel this is normal. There is no codes and it drives perfectly fine outside of full lock. Giving the jeep a standard inspection shows nothing wrong in the front end, axle shafts, or drive shafts. Being an electronic system, that only goes so far. I have never owned a jeep or anything with AWD, so I am really looking for some experienced advice. Do these naturally make a soft moaning noise from the front at full lock?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Have you checked the lower control arms or the CV joints?
That is the most common cause for the symptoms you are having.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I have to agree with you that this is normal. ANY joint under power at high deflection angles will be under added stress, weither, it be U-joint or CV. Also, the tires want to scrub instead of roll. You can destroy a front end by using a lot of throttle with the wheels at full lock.