Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

04 Grand Cherokee all over the road!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 04 Grand Cherokee all over the road!

Hey guys, I've been perplexed with the way my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been driving for months now, and after spending hundred on new components and repairs, I'm still at a loss on what's it doing and how to cure it...

When driving straight, I find myself constantly having to correct it from going side to side. There are times when I feel myself having to hold the steering wheel to prevent it from pulling right, as if the road was on some sort of severe angle, but it's 100% flat, and no I'm not on the edge of the road design to channel water and debris.

I've also noticed, when making right turns (ie, coming off or on to an exit ramp in particular) the rear end feels loose or "sloppy". It feels like it's gonna slip out from under neath the truck! If you jerk the steering wheel slightly in the middle of the turn, I can in a sense feel as if I'm going to rip the tires off the wheels! Left turns however, do feel tighter and more stable. It's VERY odd!

The truck has 208K miles, and although in great over all condition, this recent issue is really preventing me from enjoying it anymore.

I replaced all four shocks with a set of HD Bilsteins. I swapped out the rear sway bar with a heavy duty unit from Addco and new end links. Brand new rear upper control arm with new bushings, and new ball joint. New steering box. New front sway bar bushings and end links. Brand new tie rod ends and ball joints up front. Adjustable JKS front track bar (centered front axle). 2" spacers on the springs from Dayco. New rear control arms. Tires are a year old, and are General Grabbers (I believe HTS model)...

The trucks been aligned twice and accordingly to the techs, its within spec.

Anyone have any idea on what could be wrong here? This thing use to handle like a sports car, but now feels like a bus! It's never been involved in an accident, and aside from the occasional 4 wheelin on beaches, it has never been abused off road.