Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

03 GC Laredo Death Wobble w/ a twist

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 03 GC Laredo Death Wobble w/ a twist

I know there is a ton of info on DW (and I've read most of itl) but my mom told me no question is stupid, so before I start ripping everything apart I'll ask. Thanks for putting up with me.

Stock 03 with 106k miles, Never a Death Wobble problem, wife come in one day and says she is not driving it DW @ 45 to 55 MPH. Tire were fair so went to check balance and discovered broken belt on one tire (basically a flat spot). Bought 2 new tires and had it aligned. DW wobble turned into a mini wobble. So I read all I can about DW and check the suspension myself, looks good and tight except for a little clunk at the drag link end @ Pitman arm joint but I am not a mechanic. I take it to my mechanic of 20 years (he is never shy about fixing something) and he looks at everything and says it all looks good, he even used a bar to see if he could get any movement out of the joints. He tighten the bolts to the track bar getting maybe a half turn on the top side, still a wobble. I took it back to the STS tire dealer that sold me the tires and aligned it, they went over the front end (again) and say it's tight. But I still got the mini wobble, formally full blown death wobble.

So now my wife drives my car and I drive the Jeep, but because I drive it now I notice I only get the wobble when the car WARMS UP? WTF I can pull out of the driveway and go rip roaring up the road trying to set off the wobble in the speed range and nothing. After about 20 minutes to a half hour of driving it the wobble sets in at 47 mph. Doesn't have anything to do with hitting a bump, I can be on a perfectly smooth road. Why would it only happen when it gets warm ? Steering fluid get hots ? Steering stablizer gets hot and loses resistance?

Anyone ever heard of that a wobble but only when it gets warmed up ?

So now I am going to start replace parts that everyone agrees look good, so my plan is:
1) replace steering stabilizer (because it's cheap)
2) replace track bar (because all the internet info say it is this)
3) replace drag link end at Pitman arm (because that is what I suspect)
I don't know what to do after that if it doesn't stop? Steering box ?

Any comments, tips, tricks, experiences or suggestions are welcome. Thanks again for putting up with me
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I know you'll think I'm nuts, but it sounds to me like it only happens when the tires get hot. Is it possible you've got a bent rim? Put it on a lift and spin her up. Watch how the tires and suspension moves.