Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'02 WJ: Upgrading Seats and Interior Trim?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six
Question '02 WJ: Upgrading Seats and Interior Trim?

Hi All,

I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee WJ Laredo 26E Package equipped with the Taupe low-back cloth bucket seats, power-adjustable on the driver's side and manually-adjustable on the passenger's side.

I want to switch out all the seats in my Jeep because the originals were stained when I bought the Jeep last year. I want to swap for Taupe leather seats from a Laredo or Limited, maybe even heated. But my question is, I want to add a power seat on the passenger's side since I am fed up with having a power seat on the driver's side and a manual seat on the passenger's side, which I know is only the case for cloth seats (my parents had an '02 Laredo 28F Package with power, heated leather seats, and it had seatback pockets on at least the driver's side). I also have no seatback storage pockets. How easy would it be to put in a power seat on the passenger's side?:

1.) Is there already a wiring harness for a power seat under the floor on the passenger's side? Or do I have to run one myself?
2.) Do I have to change out the seat tracks in order to install new seats?
3.) Can I add heated seats, at least on the driver's side, and how hard would it be to wire in if I got two new front seats, complete with motors, switch panels, and heating elements?
4.) Is the floor already tapped for putting in new seats in the front and back, or do I have to use a tap 'n' dye kit to do it myself?

Another thing I'm planning to do is install wood trim from a Limited or Overland. I know how to unsnap and replace the bezel surrounding the radio and central HVAC vents(I've already installed an aftermarket head unit), but does the little trim piece above the driver's side HVAC vent to the left of the steering wheel just unsnap, or is it bolted in place? And how hard is it to change out the passenger's side trim piece above the glove box?

I want to make my interior look more luxurious, and I know it's an easy task if I know what I'm doing, which I'm confident with doing. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Vince

Last edited by 94zj318; 07-23-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, here's what I know about WJ seats. I put XJ front seats in my 00 WJ because I found the original buckets pinched my hips enough the cause my legs to go to sleep after a long time. I have a base model Laredo with manual seats. The thigh bolster on the driver's seat by the door was crushed from getting in and out.

The seats are bolted to the floor pan with 4 bolts. The seat cushion assembly is bolted to the base track system with 4 13mm nuts on the bottom. The power seats and the manual seats all use the same bolts. I've been told the wiring for the power seats is tucked under the console, but I never checked. IDK if heated seats were available in 2000 so I didn't check for those wires either, nor for a fuse. The only wiring I found was for the seatbelt buckle and only on the driver's side.

I found a nice set of Fawn high-backed XJ seats for a reasonable price that work for me, but I'd like a set of deep grey seats from a ZJ. I had to use my base tracks because they changed the floor pan in the WJs so the older seats won't fit.

That's about all I can tell you. On the trim, check with wjjeeps.com. They explain how to remove trim pieces, among other stuff.

BTW, that little piece above the A/C vent and the glove box are the only wood grain trim in my WJ. Be careful with that glove box one, the airbag is behind it.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-23-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Thanks! I'll probably get stick on trim appliques... it's not ideal but I don't want to damage my passenger airbag... there's a recall on the passenger side ORC airbag system so I may have my mechanic at the jeep dealer install it for me when I get that completed if I get a trim piece, but I'll just get overland matched redwood appliques and it'll at least look stock. The pick n pull should have the heated seat switches (at least the limited offered heated seats in 1999 and 2000, but I know my parents old 2002 laredo had them). The laredo power seats both used the same style tracks as far as I know. I'm going to turn my old passengers seat into a desk chair and sell off the rest of the seats. As far as the wood trim all 99s and 00s had a black trim around the radio but in 2002 the laredo had aluminum trim and the limited and overland had wood trim (zebrano for the 1999 to 2000 limited and redwood for the 2001 and newer limited and 2002 and newer overland). The laredo also had wood trim until 2001 when it switched to aluminum but it still had a black radio trim until 2002. All radio trims matched the rest of the trim starting in 2002.

Last edited by 94zj318; 07-23-2015 at 09:37 AM.