Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

02 jeep grand Cherokee battery draw

Old 04-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 02 jeep grand Cherokee battery draw

I got a 02 jeep Cherokee i tested inline and have a draw of 12 volts i pulled fuses and made a list its not one thing that makes the draw and at a loss .
New battery New radio after market i did take out and test . Tested rear winshelid wiper motor as someone said
15 jb power 50amp
10 rad fan 40amp
3 jb power lamp 50amp
4 Abs pump 40amp
12 jb power 50amp
8 starter 40amp
Mini fuse
25 Abs main 20amp
19 pcm battery 10amp
Any or all make battery drain at 12.71 i pulled all fuses and tested online with meter This way i get no draw anything more i get 12volt draw
Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

First of all, you should learn a little more about electricity! It's AMPS you should be looking for, not VOLTS! Anything that draws power will pull battery voltage! How and where are you testing? You should have your meter connected between the negative (-) battery post and the removed cable. It should be set on AMPS. A normal draw should be between .015 and .025 amps (25 milliamps) which supplies power to the memory circuits of the PCM, radio station presets, and any other module that has a memory storage. Anything more will be a "parasitic" draw and should be found. You pull fuses one at a time until you find what drops the draw the most.

Even that little bit will pull the battery down until it's inadequate to start the vehicle after about 2 weeks. Most later models (and I believe yours does) have an IOD fuse (ignition off draw) that should be removed if you're going to store the vehicle for long periods.

One of the biggest culprits of parasitic draw is aftermarket radios not turning off a remote amplifier.