Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'02 Grand Cherokee downshifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '02 Grand Cherokee downshifting problems

Hello,

I hope I can find some answers here. The story...I have a '02 GCL 4X4 Inline 6 and I just had the engine and transmission replaced with new rebuilds from Jasper engines out of Flordia. I have 5k miles on them now. Starting around 2k miles, while going at highway speed, it would not downshift to pass when I stomped on the gas pedal. It has grown to be an intermittent problem that now also happens at any speed, stomp on the gas and nothing happens, just keeps chugging along with no acceleration. I also notice a decrease in power when it hits third gear...like if I floored it from a stop and keep the pedal to the metal....third gear and I feel the power backoff...even while still floored.

Now, here is the fun part. If it is acting up, I can shut off the Jeep, wait 30 seconds or so, restart it and half the time it goes back to driving and shifting normal. The shop that did the install work says they cannot find any problems when they run the computer on it.

Has anybody heard of this problem or know a solution? Thank you so much for any help. It makes me sick to drop thousands of dollars on what I hoped would be like getting a new Jeep again, just to have issues with it.

- James