Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

02 GC passenger side water leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Unhappy 02 GC passenger side water leak

Typical Jeep issue. After a rain there is water on the passenger side floor. Been chasing this problem for over a year. Watched all the videos on the Net and read every article I could find on the subject. What I know. It's not the AC drain -- checked it, cleaned it- plus still happens in the Fall when the AC is not used. Watered/drowned every opening on the outside of the vehicle many times, including trying to force water down the wiper shafts, lol. Forced water into the door panel because latest article indicated that water exits the bottom of the door panel into the vehicle....nope! Forced water into every seal around the door and frame...not a single leak. Watered the front window for numerous minutes, many times ..nothing. It's not being splashed up from the road because many times the Jeep sat for days when it rained and there was the water!!!! Used a turkey baster to forced water into both sunroof drains..... no leak. Currently have carpet up off floor to prevent getting water logged.

The water accumulates on the floor, along the length of the door opening on the inside. The inside firewall is never wet. I covered it with TP once to make sure the leak wasn't coming from that area. TP totally dry, floor was wet. Not sure where else to look.. next step is to sell the Jeep.

HELP
Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

You and me both. 2000. Same issue and I tried the same resolves that you have without luck. The only other thing you did not mention specifically is that grommet that goes from the outside fender where the antenna wire goes under the dash. Pull back the plastic under the fender and see what that grommet looks like. Rain water will travel down that antenna wire and continue along that wire to the inside. Once the wire levels out and becomes horizontal inside the vehicle, the water will drip down onto the heater box. My grommet was rotted so I siliconed it up. THAT particular leak was stopped, but I have another that I can't find. I just live with it.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I want to live with it..Still have the musty odor coming from the carpet that got soaked but do not want to spend a lot of time on it until I solve the leak problem.
Next step is to take it down to the collision repair place and see what suggestions they might have. More to come.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Engine: 4.0

When I bought my 2000 WJ the passenger floorboard and carpet was soaked. The issue was the AC drain, not a clog but the design. The short drain tube that exits firewall is horizontal, water does not pour out end but travels back along underside of tube and into cabin. This has been an issue with many WJs, but not many figure it out. A six-inch piece of hose that has a downward bend, stuck over the AC drain tube fixed the issue. That was two years ago.
Carpet I pulled out and washed with dish soap and water, then shop-vac to remove water, and hang to dry for a few days. Smell was gone.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:25 AM

I have heard about that as well. My A/C hasn't worked since I have owned the Jeep and as often as I have tried, I simply cannot locate that rubber tube on the outside firewall. I just don't see one. I'm also very clear that mine is rain related. I have not had a mold or musty smell inside my vehicle either. I may feel different about keeping it if I did. it will be interesting to see what the headrusher comes up with after his visit to the body shop.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM

blueseasons,

It appears I do have a leak from the antenna mount. Are there directions on how to unmount it from the fender? I was told the plastic cover pops off but I'm afraid to try. Do not want to break it.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:12 PM

You don 't want to remove the antenna base. Just go under the fender, above the tire and. look for the plastic liner, Remove the plugs in that area, spread it apart and goop up the grommet with silicone, caulk, or some similar material.