Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

00' WJ electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 00' WJ electrical issues

I need some help. My wife's 00' WJ started having electrical issues today. The window switches do not work, the drivers door will only lock when it is closed, the overhead console has power but no readings, and the seat belt light in the dash won't go out when the seat belt is fastened. All of this happened today. Earlier today she said the overhead console kept telling her the drivers door was open but it wasn't and then all of this happened. I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I'm thinking maybe a fuse or relay? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The last time I had an issue like that in a WJ that came through work(it wasn't my own), I had found a previously-and poorly-repaired ground wire at the driver's door. I had to snap the rubber boot off of the harness in the door opening and push it away to fix the wire. I've heard stories from other technicians finding similar issues. Not saying it's the ground wire exclusively, but it is one wire that will effect all of those things at once.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Ok so after a couple hours of investigating I did find a broken black wire in the door harness. Fixing that restored the locks and mirror functions. But I still have these issues:

Window switches- Do not work at all from any door switch.

Overhead lights- The dimmer and timer do not work. They won't turn off by themselves and they won't come on when you unlock or open the door.

Seat belt light in dash- will not turn off even when buckled.

Overhead console- The display is lit and you can change the steps but there are no readings. It just shows this -- --.