Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Should I Do First?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question What Should I Do First?

Im new on here. I was wondering what everyone thought i should do first to my jeep. It's a 99, 4.0, Sport. Nothing done to it yet. I take it stock offroad and it's nice. I just recently replaced the shocks. But should i get rims and tires a lift a winch skid plates... what in you oppinion(s) should i do?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I'm kind of in the same position as you, with the "what to do first" thing...

I think I've decided on an '01 intake manifold, Dodge Neon fuel injectors, and a bored out throttle body. You wouldn't need the newer intake manifold, your Jeep's already got it.

Where you start really depends on what you want to improve...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 straight six

It's all about what your plans are for the rig. Do you want to start wheeling, are you going for functionality, are you trying to make a show piece , is it your DD?? Maybe Establish your intent and then ask opinions of guys who own all different types of jeeps, that's when you're replies will start coming. Pics???
Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

If you haven't already, do the routine maintenance...oil, trans, diffs, replacing worn parts etc. Upgrading anything won't do you any good if you have old dirty fluids, and worn parts. From my experience, if you're going to use it as a DD and off road toy, start with recovery points. There's nothing worse than being stuck and having no way to get pulled out.

From there, you do what you want to do. It's your rig so build it for what you want to do with it. And if you have any questions, ask.

-Adam
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by adamk
If you haven't already, do the routine maintenance...oil, trans, diffs, replacing worn parts etc. Upgrading anything won't do you any good if you have old dirty fluids, and worn parts. From my experience, if you're going to use it as a DD and off road toy, start with recovery points. There's nothing worse than being stuck and having no way to get pulled out.

From there, you do what you want to do. It's your rig so build it for what you want to do with it. And if you have any questions, ask.

-Adam
I second this... The PO of my jeep installed a lift kit with bad wheel bearings and u joints, wore out the front tires pretty bad and some other front end parts... Could have been an even more expensive fix If I kept driving on em
Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM

Aha!!! First thing any car owner should do is get a tool kit and put it in the trunk...like my dad always says, If you can't fix it you shouldn't own it.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by XJNATION1997
It's all about what your plans are for the rig. Do you want to start wheeling, are you going for functionality, are you trying to make a show piece , is it your DD?? Maybe Establish your intent and then ask opinions of guys who own all different types of jeeps, that's when you're replies will start coming. Pics???
I want to start wheeling nothing to extreme. I maintain my rig on schedule... I just put on some generic shocks. Its alsoy DD