Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Jeep Builds
STRANGE issue (take off from a stop) >

STRANGE issue (take off from a stop)

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

STRANGE issue (take off from a stop)

Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 AM

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default STRANGE issue (take off from a stop)

It's hard to REALLY explain in the title line, but its : normal take off, no issue. Stomp the gas...ISSUE

To begin, since I joined the forum I have got all new brakes, master cylinder, power steering pump, PS gear box, pressure & return line, coolant flush w/ new hoses, 3.5 lift (not that it was mechanical) replaced fuses, alternator, set of tires, & Im sure Im forgetting some things in there. Added a ghettoflage paint job to.

Now, I JUST had the alternator done like a week or 2 ago. I took it off road (close to home in case the Bunny isnt off road ready) & doing an incline, mashed the gas & it sputtered like it was going to stall. I looked at the gas gage & thought maybe that was it. As I started paying attention to when this was happening...I came to this: If I am at a stop & accelerate normal...Im fine. If I step on it for pick up...sputter sputter sputter...then go. Once I realized that was the cause of the issue, I also noticed the radio shut off when this happened. (I mention this for a good reason) Every time I power accelerate , sputter & radio off, once it catches up some speed & goes, radio on & all is normal.

I brought it to the shop that has done most my mechanical work & seems they are without clue. I am NOT mechanically inclined, so while I THINK it is electrical (maybe a short) I am more worried about the price that comes with wire chasing. That being said, I was hoping to have some input as to what it MAY be so I can at least have something to fire off with them when I bring it back. I am HOPING its the belt is loose (it isnt as tight as it could be I think) causing the slip & power issue that it recovers as the engine is about to die. That would be a move the alternator out to put better tension on the belt resolution. I am worried there is something electrical grounding...but I would think that would blow fuses. Oh yeah, I forgot...Last time I took the bunny out was Friday. Pulled out of the driveway & the signals were working. Pulled back on the road after being on trails & inclines (nothing too radical till I know its a reliable vehicle) & turn signals dont work. Hazards work though. I am not sure if I just have multiple issues or all are from 1.

Im 5 grand deep & would THINK I would be off road ready! So any input is better than my simple mind. I want to hit the trails, but wont risk it till I know its sound mechanically.

I STILL have to get a roofrack (maybe someone knows someone in AZ that can make one where I DONT have to spend $500+) light bar & mount a jump seat in the back... so yeah...I need LOTS of help!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:03 AM

sorry, forgot to add a pic of the ghettoflage
Old 06-23-2014, 04:09 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by azJETSclan View Post
I am worried there is something electrical grounding...but I would think that would blow fuses.
i'd start by looking at all of your grounds...
you're right, if + grounds out you'll pop a fuse...but losing a ground will also stop shyt from working
Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 PM

any idea on where to start?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:10 PM

re-read your original post...
this is all happening since the alt was replaced??
check all the wiring attached to it, and all of the major ground wires. Make sure you have clean and solid contact to the "body".
I don't think a slipping belt would kill the radio, you'd still have battery reserve to keep that going...but a fubared ground losing earth would def. do it
Old 06-23-2014, 04:14 PM

btw...PM a mod, see if you can get this moved to https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/
you'd get a lot more input me thinx than here in "builds"

oh, i like the paint!! looks like a good clean rig
Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
btw...PM a mod, see if you can get this moved to https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/
you'd get a lot more input me thinx than here in "builds"

oh, i like the paint!! looks like a good clean rig
thanks. still new to this & will try n find a moderator to move it.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:11 PM

oh what color are the moderators? Or is there a list of them.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 PM

open the "builds" section (right before you click on your thread)
3 mods for this section are listed in the bottom right hand corner
Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 AM

well, I couldnt figure it out, so I dropped it off at a recommended shop that ONLY does auto electric. Lets hope for the best cause the higher the bill...the longer it will take me to get the roll cage, light bar & winch...
Old 06-26-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by azJETSclan View Post
the longer it will take me to get the roll cage, light bar & winch...
all useless anyway if it runs like shyt

hope it's something simple
Old 06-26-2014, 11:32 AM

I should be so lucky. With this Jeep, nothing has been simple. It may have been loved once...but when they let it go...they let it GOOOOO.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:51 PM

I just got a call from the shop. (Specializing in electrical) Seems the vacuum lines have an effect on the computer? There were a couple wires touching. He was fast to the point & hurried me off the phone...he seems pretty intense with getting the job done LOL.

He did say to calibrate the speedometer but no clue bout that too. Gonna search the forums for that
Old 07-02-2014, 04:55 AM

well, he may have been intense on the phone...but here I am almost a week & no clue whats up with the Bunny. He said he was tryin to find out why the check engine light didnt go on...but I didnt get a chance to tell him it had no bulb (I pulled the dash apart trying to secure the head light plunger in there) So...who knows what kind of bill Im going to get. originally it was only suppose to be a diagnostic before I OK any fixes......