Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Jeep Builds
Steve the Jeep's super slow rise to power >

Steve the Jeep's super slow rise to power

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Steve the Jeep's super slow rise to power

Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Steve the Jeep's super slow rise to power

I appologize if I don't do this exactly right. I'm really just wanting to do this build thread so I can keep track of when exactly I did every last little thing to my jeep along the way. That way hopefully years from now I can look back and see how far it's came and what all my hard work has done in the long run.

So first of all the name, "Steve". I named my XJ this after the character "Steve the Pirate" from the movie Dodgeball. Why? You ask. Because I couldn't think of anything better and couldn't stand leaving the "name" space blank when I created my account (and had recently watched Dodgeball again). So yeah, there's that.

I got this XJ a little under a year ago now after selling my Mustang GT conv for something a little more offroad capable seeing as how I've always loved riding utility atv's on trails and such. I settled on getting a Jeep after overhauling the engine of a 50's keiser *****'s in my auto shop class during college. I chose a XJ 4 door because I'd always loved the body style, and because once me and my wife have kids there's room so I won't have to sell it When I bought it the RC lift (3" in the rear, 5" in the front) had JUST been installed, as well as the 31" Mastercraft M/Ts. I wish I could've afforded some used A/Ts at the time I bought it so that I didn't wear out the M/Ts delivering pizza (yup, that's my job. Just happy I have one though in this wonderful economy) Today though I found some Timberline A/Ts on stock XJ wheels on craigslist for $275 with about 80% tread on them. My 31s are now locked in the garage waiting for trips to Brick's Offroad Park and Turkey Bay once I get her armored up a little more (Skids, front and rear bumper, and sliders. Just don't wanna chance it and go before I get those things done. All of which will just be built by my Dad and me because I can't afford the other way haha).

As for what I've done to my XJ so far. Pretty much just repairs. Replaced brake cylinders, new clutch kit, fixed broken wires so all 4 speakers worked again, and some other stuff but you get the idea. That kinda stuff.

Future plans when $$$ allows them are to buy the metal to do the front and rear bumpers and some sliders. I already have the D rings sitting here ready for the bumpers. I'd like to get a few things protected with skidplates (homemade of course) before I take her to Turkey Bay or anything. This is my DD so I gotta be kinda careful with her. I kinda wanna put some slightly better speakers in as well, probably just some of lower end Kickers most likely with my MTX Thunder series amp I have left over from my Mustang. Also I currently am waiting for a part to come in the mail, just a little grommet the links things up so I can swap into 4H, 4L and such. I guess we broke it when we did the clutch last month

Here's a picture of the new Timberlines I bought today (sorry, rain from Issac made it hard to get a decent pic)Name:  173f3837.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  53.3 KB
Here's the kinda dumb paintjob I did on my stock diff. Figured it fit well since I named it after Steve the Pirate Name:  0bce09c5.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  54.8 KB
And lastly, here's just a pic of "Steve" with the M/Ts onName:  de624833.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  188.8 KB
Gotta love rear end angle shots of XJ's
Old 09-02-2012, 02:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Hey man, "Steve" is a clean XJ. The diff is hilarious. Gotta love Dodgeball, lol! Now, how can we work a deal on some pizza?

Welcome to the forum and to Jeep-dom.

P.s. that's part of the reason i started a build thread too.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Good start on it. If you're getting all armored up, don't forget new diff covers! (You can paint those as well)