Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting This Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Starting This Project

I picked up this 95 2 door XJ for 180 bucks. But after getting it home I might should have left it where I found it.
It has a Blown head gasket, no power to the fuel pump without using a toggle switch with direct power going to the pump, exhaust leaks, trans line leak, trans fluid pump seal leaking, missing cracked and plugged vacuum lines, driver side door top hinge pulling off the door jam, interior is nasty dirty, flat tires, windshield wipers don't work, and dents and dings.

I have fixed the head gasket and fuel pump issues. My goal is to fix everything that is broke or missing and leaking. Then Clean up the inside and outside. Maybe upgrade the 3 inch lift that's already on it. I don't do any rock crawling or any major off road stuff. Just want a nice lifted XJ and have the ability to go off road to get to that secret fishing spot. But I'm on a budget so it might talk me a while to get it where I want it.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:54 PM

Blown Head Gasket
Old 11-08-2017, 06:03 PM

Default fuel pump issue fix

old harness

Replacement Harness<br/>
Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Engine: 6 CYL HO

I like it. I am also building one on a budget. I just cut my fenders off under the lights.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:08 AM

Thanks Biggsly your build looks great itself. I'v also been thinking about trimming the fenders on the 95. But that will be later down the road. I need to get it in drivable condition first.

I also have a 01 Im working on buts its my daily driver. I need to find a cheap lift it somewhere between 3 and 4.5 inches and tires. But havent done much to the 01 besides h4 headlight conversion, swapped in a 8.25 rear that I did a disc brake conversion on, and upgrade the injectors to 4 hole
Old 04-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Ok so Im back working on my 95 2 door. Its been a long slow job to this point because of my job and financial situation. But this is what I have got done. Fixed the head gasket, fuel pump power problem, replaced the quarter panel and header and grill.

I have run into a couple small snags. Im sure I can figure them out with some time. But I wanna get the forum thoughts. 1st I put the quarter panel and header on. The side that had the damage lined up great. The good side not so great. I have a large gap on the non damage side and the damage side sits flush with a small gap. Not sure what isnt lined up properly here is a couple picture if it helps

This is the side that had no damage but has the gap.

The side with the orignal damage aligned hood I thought

2nd issue someone tried to fix the bumper or realign it before I got it. And they cut part of the mounting points for the bumper bracket off. The left circle is the good mounting area the right one is the one that was cut off

So let me know your thoughts/ Ideas and is it worth saving or should look for another 2 door with less problems. Thanks.

Last edited by cherokee01; 04-14-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:34 PM

And here how it looks right now with along way to go

Last edited by cherokee01; 04-14-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cherokee01
And here how it looks right now with along way to go

Does it run? If so don't sell it keep and fix her up. That is if your willing to put the time and money into it.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:19 AM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

I LOVE those wheels!
Both of my SJ's have the factory 6 lug slot wheels.
Take your time with that Jeep..................... It looks great!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 AM

Yes it runs great now after the headgasket repair. I also dont mind putting time in it. The money part takes me awhile needs first toys later. And for the wheels they need to be sanded and polished and should be good as new. Thanks XnIrish4x4 and Dustywagoneer for the replies
Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cherokee01
Yes it runs great now after the headgasket repair. I also dont mind putting time in it. The money part takes me awhile needs first toys later. And for the wheels they need to be sanded and polished and should be good as new. Thanks XnIrish4x4 and Dustywagoneer for the replies
I noticed you have a newer XJ in the background sporting the no bumper look. What is up with that one? Yea man you welcome on the replies, take your time with it that is the fun part. You will get anxious and want all the fun stuff right away with it but if you be patient it will all come together. Fix up all the mechanical issues, which sounds like you are and then the toys added on will come later. Trust me I know with my '89 there were things I should have done differently instead of putting a ton of money into wheels, tires, lift, etc. only to find out I had mechanical issues I knew of but neglected. They have since been fixed but still I could have eliminated the down time fixing those and more time on the trails if I would have planned it right.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Lastly something I neglected to do at first but have since done it....setup a reasonable goal in mind of cost you want to spend on this XJ including a list of necessity parts and then those parts that you don't really need but want. Once you get through all the needed stuff, then see how much money you will have left for all those wants!

The good thing is it won't break the bank like that and then you won't be forced to sell it regretting how much money you dumped into it and never getting it on the trails beforehand.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:06 PM

Yeah Im going to go slow and steady on the build. And I have a some what of a plan for a budget. But first things first make sure the mechanical is all straight and then make the body sound and solid.

The newer xj is a 2001 Xj sport 4wd aw4 np231. It basicly stock with a few upgrades like h4 headlight upgrade, injector upgrade, swapped out the dana 35 for a c8.25 with a disc brake conversion. Far as the bumper it was removed because some one came to a sudden stop because of a deer and then my front bumper met there back bumper