Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting from the bottom...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5
Default Starting from the bottom...

Im new to here and to jeeps. Hope i am posting here correctly but this is a place for me to document this "build"(really just fixing someones broke toy so i can play with it now) just bought the jeep tonight so gonna give a full description of what i get to start with and what i plan to do. The photo was the one posted when for sale....ill take some current tomorrow.

I made my first jeep purchase about 3 hours ago.
1986 xj 2door 5speed with the 2.5. Its a mountian toy and will stay one as the fenders have been hacked to hell and back and the interior is at best functional... BUT i got it for one hell of a deal if all goes well. South of 500 bucks..

Im pretty good with chevy trucks as its all ive ever drove but same principal just gotta learn how the jeeps are setup. The 2.5 in it is running horrible. If i can get it to crank it runs like @%#$ but will idle for the most part...with some pedal working. But it runs and i drove it on the trailer and around my block. After researching since i first inquired about the jeep im thinking i need to focus on the Tb right now and go from there seen alot of people saying they had issues. It does need a full tune up and probably a new tank as it had no gas cap

The plan is to get it running good again then fix a few things like hatch not closing..window falling..just to make it a decent mountian toy that doesnt fall apart on the way up. It was on 38s but did not come with them so ill be searching for 36s since i was told the 38s rubbed like crazy. He said he thought it had been geared...seemed dang low in 1st but not running good so we will see. Ill eventually get around to painting it myself fixing the grill and putting a steel rear bumper. Id also like to eleminate any unnecessary clutter under the hood. Wiper res. A/c anything thats not required to make it run and have heat. Ill be running new wiring for a small radio and some lights and wheel this bad boy...I hope to get any tips suggestions, pointers, dos, donts, as i can as this is my FIRST JEEP...feels good....feels real good..