Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Standing water/Hydrolock vs Jeep

Old 10-02-2016, 05:20 PM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Standing water/Hydrolock vs Jeep

So I went wheeling this weekend and I tired a water crossing that seemed doable, but I underestimated depth and I ended up hydrolocked in water up to the lower 1/4 of my door. It sat like that for 15 minutes and after some winching it ended up about 5 ft from the bank when my battery died.

It sat like this for about 4 hours until I finally got pulled out.

I pulled the plug, replaced the oil and cranked the engine. Water shot out about 30 feet. I sprayed some pb blaster into the throttle body and cylinders and she fired right up. No knock, ticks or noises. It ran rough home the 100 miles home and the transmission wouldn't shift well but after a new TPS its running and shifting like it used to. I got LUCKY!!!

I'm going to do several oil changes over the next few days but besides engine and diff oil, what else do you think I should do to ensure a healthy engine and drivetrain? Do you think anything could've got into the tranny or transfer case?
Old 10-02-2016, 05:42 PM

Year: 1987

Most times when a warm component is cooled quickly it forms a vacuum and sucks in very fine particles. You should change all oils to be sure.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The breathers for the transfer case and transmission sit right above the bell housing.. I'd swap fluids and extend those lines. Check your rear diff fluid as well. The breather is on bottom of the uni-frame rail.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by indeepwithajeep View Post
The breathers for the transfer case and transmission sit right above the bell housing.. I'd swap fluids and extend those lines. Check your rear diff fluid as well. The breather is on bottom of the uni-frame rail.
I was really hoping I wouldn't have to change the tranny and transfer case fluids but oh well. Thanks for the responses and sorry if this was posted in the wrong section. If an admin could switch it I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Turtle_XJ; 10-02-2016 at 10:31 PM.