Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Southernbirds XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Southernbirds XJ

This build started with a $400.00 find off craiglist,.. 1988 cherokee Laredo 4.0 5speed .
Driveline:
I rebuild the bottom end & installed a new head.. total rebuild of the front and rear axles, & installed a nex clutch. as well as rebuild the brake system.

Susp:
We Replaced both front wheel bearings, installed total poly bushing kit, new steering linkages & tierod ends. I Mixed Match me a 4' Lift kit together,
4' skyjacker soft ride front coils, 2' shackles & 2' add a leaf in the rear. RC swaybar quick discont, RC adj. track bar, Rustys Adj. control arms. Rustys steering stabilizer. & rustys 4' shocks

For tires I went with 31x10.50R15 Cooper STT mud terrains & simple white wagon wheels from summit racing.

Exterior:
I painted the jeep with Hotrod Flatz Red oxide, & then used Hurculiner on the bottom.

Interior:
I stripped the insides out today, going to monstaliner the interior floor, install dual batterys & OBA system in the back..

I Dont have build pictures prior to where I am at now.. lost them in a lost phone a few weeks ago.
I am going to try to keep everything from here on out in the computer. I got some great plans & ideas for the future. Next on the list is
L&L front and rear bumpers , EMT roofrack, lights, & 9000# Engo winch...
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Had a day off work so I had a little free time,.. I installed a set of delta housing and a set of good gas shocks for the hatch I found at Pullapart last week. I got lucky and found a lifted xj with a good bit of aftermarket parts.. wished I would have pulled a bit more from it..

Since I got the interior out preping for a coat of monstaliner bed liner. I installed my CB ball mount & 102' whip.

I managed to get my headliner board out without totally destroying it, but it seems to be very fragile.
before searching for a new board, I am going to try to glue some burlap to the back side in an attempt to stiffin up the board and add a bit more strength to it before installing a new liner.

Will tackle the tub prep next week, gotta track down a few leaks,. Overall the tub is very solid..I just got a little bit of rust repair in the drivers side floor, alot better than expected ..

Last edited by SouthernBird; 02-02-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:14 PM

another day off work, to cold to go fishing so I decide to fool with the xj,.
I went ahead & ordered the monstaliner bedliner today, so I had to get started on the prep..

I ran into a bit more rust than I first thought,.
I went over all the rusty spots 1st with wire brush discs to remove all the loose stuff. A quick vaccum with the shop vac, then came the air tools. I used an angle grinder with course pads to remove as much rust as possible and get it to bare metal.. I cleaned it all up & sprayed permatex rust treatment over the areas. not my usually brand but still performs the same,.. in kills the rust & converts it back to metal.

you can start to see the converter turning the rust black..

Usually when we hit rust like this we cut/patch or replace the pans.. but seeing how this isn't our normal restoration... I am going into it with a budget friendly state of mind... still floating my options around for repairing the rusty holes, but will most likely go with fiberglass & resin before bedlining it..
once the converter sits for a day, we fix the rusty holes,.. sand everything down thats getting lined & start taping it up.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM

Finally got time to get the rust repaired. I went cheap and just used bodyfiller.. got it all scuffed & installed the monstaliner this weekend. Very impressed with the liner so far. I am fan of herculiner, but this stuff is way stronger & comes with out the rubber chucks so it is much easier to clear.
It also comes in colors & is sprayable, so I will be redoing the exterior soon.. Now its time to install the dual batterys & build some storage.