Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheriff Build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Sheriff Build.

Hi there, I'm new here. I'm reviving a 1999 jeep cherokee 'limited' which appears to have been either a sherriff's jeep or a border patrol vehicle.

It has a couple of odd features that support this. A larger than normal alternator, Extra wires that don't go to anything anymore, screw holes where a lot of equipment was removed, badly bondo-ed over holes in the roof where a light bar would have lived.

And a large, weird looking electrical plug in the middle of the hatchback area.

It has a 100mph speedo, which is normally only in sports, or in Law Enforcement jeeps, as I understand it.

Also, this thing did 100 before I chickened out and let off the throttle. I had throttle left when I let off, too.

I got it for free... because something died in it.

I tried febreeze.

I tried odo-ban.

I tried vinegar, which made it smell like some horrible charnel shop upwind of a bbq, or maybe just BBQ that rotted to death in the heat.

Nothing would get the smell of dead, decomposed flesh out of this thing.

Also, I live in Texas, and the AC was broken.

So, I parked it.

Then one day this dude knocks on my door, out of nowhere, asks me if I wanna buy a jeep... I go take a look.

it's a 1999 Sport model, with the front end smashed in. And the interior is -perfect-.

400 bucks later, it's sitting in my yard.

My goal is to gut the interior out of the Sheriff, and install the interior out of the Sport, which is mint.

No, the Sport isn't salvagable.. At all. The body is bent in 3 different directions, and the cost of making it whole would be about two to three times what it was worth. Which makes it the perfect donor car.

So the goal is to do a strip-and-swap, making the Sheriff into a nice clean jeep with a nice interior, and no bad smells.

I do have a couple of questions.

The Sport has power locks and windows, and I'd like to migrate those onto the Sheriff. Does the Limited's wiring harness support these features, or would I have to migrate the harness as well?

Also, Where is the wireless remote module in the Sport, and how hard is it to move it to the Limited?

Thank you in advance, and Happy Trails.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Are you sure its a limited? Every limited I've ever seen came with most if not all of the options out there. It looks to be an SE just that was used for police work. The police xjs were not a "limited" at all, they are hard to come by and have.

A good way to tell is, does it have rear door handles? The police jeep was an upgraded SE model, with no rear door handles usually, and a high output 195HP 4.0, which would also have a bigger high output alternator to run all the lights and things on the inside.

(From Wiki)
Fleet markets
By 1997, the XJ Cherokee was still popular in police and government fleets. As expected, production of the Cherokee Special Service Package continued for the 1997 model year into the 2001 model year. It still had the same features as the 1996 Cherokee Special Service Package, but the engine now produced 195 hp (145 kW). In 2001, when the XJ Cherokee ceased production and was replaced by the Jeep Liberty, the Cherokee Special Service Package was discontinued. The Jeep Liberty never featured a Special Service Package, however, police, and government agencies still used the Liberty in their fleets, and continue to this day.

Also, the wiring harnesses in the doors are different if the police edition has manual windows or anything like that. My newest jeep has all manual everything, but still had a huge harness in the door, but it was missing the window plugs, everything else was there. Its all plug and play though so you can just pull them from the other if you switch. If it does have manual windows those door panels and regulators would be worth some money as how uncommon they are most people would love to have them.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:09 AM

honestly, I'm not sure. This is my first jeep, and I know so little about them.

It does have rear door handles, but -everything- is manual. Manual doors, windows, seats. the only 'feature' it had was an AM/FM radio. no cassette.

What little I've been able to find out, the high output engine, and hi speed rear end is not the normal state of affairs for a 'stripped' model jeep.

I'll have more pics later today as I strip the interior.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 AM

"Also, the wiring harnesses in the doors are different if the police edition has manual windows or anything like that. My newest jeep has all manual everything, but still had a huge harness in the door, but it was missing the window plugs, everything else was there. Its all plug and play though so you can just pull them from the other if you switch. If it does have manual windows those door panels and regulators would be worth some money as how uncommon they are most people would love to have them."

I'm confused. Are you saying the manual window doors have value?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Seasoned Member

The high out out motor is for the police vehicles, which are modified stripped versions of the jeep. If the only option it has is the radio besides the motor, it is definitely a police jeep.

And yes, manual Windows regulators, handles, and door panels are worth a decent amount. Most of us get tired of the window and lock problems these xjs are known for with the window motors and switches and would rather have manual for simplicity, trail rigs, or going doorless without wires. In the 97+ Cherokees it was vary uncommon to come with manual everything. My newest one did and I happier then I can express about it.

Do some research about the manual stuff, could possibly make some decent money
Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Thanks!

Would it perhaps be wiser to leave in the manual doors? If I'm understanding you correctly the power doors are failure prone.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:15 PM

oh the rodentery...
I found out where the smell was coming from. underneath every interior body panel with any size... was a nest. and every nest is full of mouse mummies. rotted f**king mouse mummies

Last edited by Roguetek; 10-08-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: pitchers!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Wow, yeah that'll do it for the smell. It's honestly up to you on keeping or ditching the manual windows and locks. If everything works in the other jeep and you rather have them, by all means go for it. I actually loved my power everything jeep once I had everything working properly besides making quick disconnects for when I went doorless, the manual is less convenient, but less hassle so I like it equally as much
Old 10-10-2014, 01:15 PM

Well, I've gotten the headliner out, and everything south of the front seats unbolted, and dear god, what a mess.

There's rodent poop -everywhere-. I'm wearing gloves and a resperator to avoid a visit from Hanta Claus.

I'm also in South Texas, so the heat is miserable.

I'm going to have to weld up the old light bar holes, because they were so shoddily patched the rain got in, and ruined the headliner, and rotted out a bit.

Lucky for me I tig weld, and both holes are in the middle of a flat spot. Should be fairly painless.

my next stop is pulling out the entire rear interior, and cleaning with bleach, drying with compressed air, and spraying with rust converter, just to be sure.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

I have power windows and locks and I absolutely hate it. If I sink my jeep in water then my windows won't roll up or down. Also there's a sheriff jeep still being used near me. Every time I drive by it I can't help but admire it
Old 10-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

I have a police package XJ. It should have a 120mph speedo, not 100mph. Also, do you have rubber floors? They usually came with that too. All in all, police packages are good finds, hope the interior swap goes well for you!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:55 AM

it does not have rubber floors, but there are a number of places where a lot of electronics used to live. Extra grounds, extra hot leads that have been clipped, and the plug in the rear that doesn't go to anything implies that this jeep hosted a lot of electronics in it's former life. I'm not sure if it's a retired police car or not.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Update -

So, the heater box from the donor jeep was crushed, and I had to make 1 good box out of two bad ones. I did some plastic welding...

to fix this break

By using this..

And this

to do this...

Resulting in this..

So, the new heaterbox is installed, and on to removing any evidence of Hanta Claus.