Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SALVAGE TITLE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default SALVAGE TITLE?

At what point do you not want a salvage title Cherokee? I've seen a few on Craigslist with salvage title, some due to major problems and others due to minor issues. However, at what point is a salvage title a no no? Thank you.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Engine: 6 CYL HO

Mine has a salvage title. I bought it from the impound yard. It doesn't bother me, because most of them around here are all worth about the same money. I would say as long as the uni-body is not damaged bad, it would probably be okay.
Of coarse it depend what kind of condition over all too.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

It depends on what you will be using it for. It also depends on the damage that caused the vehicle to be totaled in the first place, the repairs that were done, and the quality of the repairs that were done.

Most of the time the accident will be reported, and it will show up on a carfax or autocheck report.

A salvage title should reduce the retail price 40% - 60% after repairs. However these numbers can change significantly depending on year, miles, overall condition, the area, and the season.

There's more than one way to total a jeep.

For a daily driver you do not want anything with structural damage. This means the unibody. The unibody is thin sheet metal, and will most likely not be properly repaired.

You might also want to steer clear of flood damage. The wire harnesses / connectors likely gathered water and started corroding, which will get worse causing all kinds of problems in the future.

If it was a front or rear end collision, or a light side impact that was properly repaired (no visible folds or symmetrical dents in the panels or unibody / frame) you do not have anything to worry about.

check that the doors seal properly, and that the hood / fenders / doors have reasonably even gaps all the way around.

It it is newer check for an airbag light. If it's on that most likely means that it was a front end impact, and the airbags were never replaced.

Lastly don't believe what anyone selling you the car says about the damage, repair, or potential repair cost. Inspect it yourself and make an educated decision.

Last edited by craigjacob1; 11-26-2017 at 04:10 PM.