Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rommel

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default The Rommel

Well hello there! I've spent most of my life content with an inch or two of ground clearance and front-wheel-drive, but all that changed a few months ago. I bought a gnarly 1991 XJ and it changed my life. I see the errors of my ways and am seeking forgiveness!

I'll be honest: I've been beating my frail little Honda up pretty bad with camping trips and mountain-biking adventures, so I bought the Jeep. I figured that a Cherokee is made for camping and general adventuring (which I friggin' love) while a Honda is made for, well, girls. And commuting. I'll keep it for commuting.

Back to the good stuff: For starters, when I bought my XJ it was a sickening flat red color and it had some god-aweful cheap-*** wheels. I decided (after much beer) that it should be flat desert sand. And it needed normal wheels. And new tires. And rear shocks. And a tune up.

I’ve included a picture of the day I brought it home, and one of the machine as it sits today with flat tan paint, stock Jeep wheels, and new tires. I spared you from pictures of sanding and masking, oil changes, shock swaps, and water pump replacements.

If you want to see a few more pictures, I have a Photobucket for The Rommel. I'll upload more pics to it as time allows:

http://s183.photobucket.com/user/j4gesek/library/Jeep

Note: I also changed the front brake calipers and rotors, rear shocks, rear shaft u-joints, and water pump.

Moving forward, I have a set of Hella 500 deer detectors I'll mount to the front bumper as time permits. I really want a roof rack, but I'll have to wait until I can find a killer deal on one. The front seats are gross, so they have to go. I mostly use it to go camping (I'm real close to Yosemite, which is camping and hiking Heaven), so I really don't need to build a rock-crawling monster out of it... yet... I know how the bug can bite!

Wish me luck as I address the usual issues associated with getting a 22-year-old XJ to be dependable! The REAL adventure begins: NOW!
Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee

Looks good, god I hate those rims it came with. Amazing what new rims & paint can do. I love that desert tan color. Keep it up, & keep posting Picts.