Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real ambitious jeep build

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L stroked to 4.6
Default Real ambitious jeep build

Hello all I have been reading this forum for a few years and have decided to post my build. It is a fairly ambitious build as you will see in the description. I have seen on this tread that most contributors here really don't do much outside of maintenance and then add off the shelf lifts tires and bumpers winches and other doodads. At first I was disappointed but then I started looking at the age of most builders I was reading and see they are young and still in school weather high school or collage. So now I understand everyone has to start someplace and not everyone has the same skills or tools at their disposal. I will hope to use this build to inspire younger builder to never stop dreaming and never think you can't do something.

Now I know what you all are thinking... I am a master Machanic with this large well stocked shop with unlimited tools and budget!

Well your WRONG. I learned like you all did.. Out of necessity poor and a cheep car I could barely afford that broke down every day. Couldn't afford to pay someone to fix it so I Learned myself. Fast forward 25 years and I have gotten pretty good. Bought a few tools along the way. We will say a bit more than the average DIY guy. But keep in mind this build is done in my driveway without all the special tool you see on tv. Welder, plasma cutter, saws all, air tools and the like.

The key to my success was to research a lot about what I want to do measure ten time and cut once. Most importantly never be afraid to try something.

Now on to the build...

Spent several years collecting parts for this build so here is the list

Engine- 351 Cleveland w/over 500 hp at the crank with eldebrock truck avenger carb

C-6 auto with stall converter and B&M street strip shift kit
Atlas II transfer w/4.3 low and twin stick control

Ford 9" with Molly axles and Detroit locker with 4.56 gears reinforced axle tubes with heavy wall tube and will build a axle truss

Front is ford heavy 44 with half inch thick walled tubes and eaton electric locker 4.56 gears Molly shafts ans stub shafts

Lift is rubicon express 6" short for now but upgrading to front an later rear long arm going to be a daily driver and weekend wheeler.

So tell me what you all think...
Attached Thumbnails Real ambitious jeep build-image.jpg  
Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Man I can't wait to see this build! I am a college student and wasn't sure how much I'm going to be able to do to my XJ, but it makes me want to keep saving so I can get some stuff done to mine. Good luck man!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

I'm a college student(ex military) myself but I'm not doing your run of the mill build either. I like where you're going with this. I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress. Good luck
Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Rad build idea. You going to paint it pink,lol?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:36 PM

Just so you guys know that's my wife and granddaughters conspiring together with their I put on the color I shouls paint it lol
Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 PM

Year: 1996

[QUOTE="Seanbenson31;3060378"]Just so you guys know that's my wife and granddaughters conspiring together with their I put on the color I shouls paint it lol[/QUOTE

Haha, if my daughter had her way; my jeep would look like the Barbie jeep
Old 03-24-2015, 01:57 PM

Default Exhaust problems

Here is the present problem to over come the passenger side exhaust manifold is hitting the uni-body sub frame and the fire wall I already know what I will do to fix the problem but how about some of you less experienced jeep builder tell me how you would over come this problem. There are several ways but keep in mind when you move some this one direction to gain some clearance you loose clearance some place else. There is a lot of stuff to consider like the motor must be level right to left. Also must have no more than 3° drop from the front to reR of the motor for proper oil flow. Also the motor has to be center for proper weight distribution. And the front axle must have room to come up when you climb a rock or hit a bump. So proper clearance between the oil pan and axle must be considered.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 PM

Default Atlas II transfer

Again here is what all us offroad enthusiast want under our rigs can any of you new to the sport guy tell me why?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:28 PM

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by Seanbenson31
Again here is what all us offroad enthusiast want under our rigs can any of you new to the sport guy tell me why?
For the amazing low ratio and durability, that the atlas offers.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ho

an unlimited budget and you choose to run a carburetor lol
Old 03-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by cholthauss
an unlimited budget and you choose to run a carburetor lol
He doesnt have an unlimited budget. Give it a read again.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read it.... Sounds pretty arrogant....

"hey Im new here, I know you guys are just trying to help each other out as a community, but lets not forget Im better"

Thats what I got from it.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:51 PM

Default Clarification

Let's get something straight. It's not a unlimited budget I worked and saved for ten years to get that tranfer. No I'm not better I am just trying to ilistrate with determination hard work research careful planing you can accomplish most anything. As well as try to get the younger generation thinking planing and hopefully picking the brains of some of us older more experienced guys to avoid some costly mistakes. I have a friend that build his jeep three times before he sold it for a mini van because he was frustrated with it and the cost to build it. I know you guys out there knows someone like this. I am not at all arrogant in fact very humble. I really want to pass on some of the knowledge I have to people who need it and want it
Old 03-24-2015, 07:55 PM

Default Atlas II

Originally Posted by XJmember
For the amazing low ratio and durability, that the atlas offers.
You forgot the ability to control axles independently as in front digs or the ability to put the rear in neutral and front in low hold the brakes turn the wheel mash the gas and turn left or right on the corresponding tire to maneuver in very tight places. Lol
Old 03-24-2015, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by tlang
I read it.... Sounds pretty arrogant....

"hey Im new here, I know you guys are just trying to help each other out as a community, but lets not forget Im better"

Thats what I got from it.
Funny...I didn't get that at all. Sounds like your average Joe trying to make a living and have a hobby at the same time. I think the build is awesome. I'm a ford guy so I love seeing one planted in an XJ. I've got an old drag motor of mine (347) I'd love to use but it's just to wild for anything other than 1/4 pulls

Quick Reply: Real ambitious jeep build