Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project SpitFire - 95 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L MFI 6cyl
Default Project SpitFire - 95 Cherokee

Ok,

My brother inlaw gave me his 95 Cherokee 4WD that he used for work "brick layer". The Jeep is in rough shape. The body is in need of some serious work. The NW Indiana winters are hard on vehicles. Way to much road salt.

First things first, since this is my only vehicles, the project will be slow going. Currently I am replacing the parts that "need" to be replaced. Mainly Fuel system/Exhaust system/CV joints and so such. I'll get it functioning well enough to keep driving it while buying the parts I need for the build.

A lot of the interior work I plan to do will be with fiberglass. I'd like to make it as custom as possible also removing the rear seats and replacing them with bucket seats. I have done some body as far as Painting/Fiber/bondo, but my welding experience is null. Luckily my Boss is very a experienced welder I'll be doing all the cutting and he'll be doing the welding.

The exterior body work. Aside from the molding I will keep fairly stock.

The bumpers I will more than likely just buy.

Here is a list of parts I have found to fix it up. Please, I am open to suggestions.

Bumpers
http://www.quadratec.com/products/72025_800X_PG.htm

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJB

Body replacement....Floor/Runners ..etc
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...nels&c=41&pg=1

Flares
http://www.quadratec.com/products/72506_800_07.htm

Suspension Lift
Rough Country 3 1/2 Lift

Tires/Wheels

I'd like something a bit wide.

I'm kind of digging these here
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partId=10887

For the tires
not sure yet,

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about doing this. It has been years since I have been able to work on something I "wanted" to do.

Keep in mind this thread will be slow moving. One part at a time, but hopefully not.

Pic's

If you look at the cuts in the bed, that is were I had to get the bolts for the passenger rear shock. One of the original bolts broke off.

Last edited by SpitFire; 09-14-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

sounds like a fun lil project, hope everything goes well!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L (242) SMPI I6 Power Tech engine

looks insane. i am also looking a the or fab bumper but from one xj owner to another get you bumper from here and save yourself 200 bucks http://www2.partstrain.com/store/det...location=Front
Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mobilecherokee4
sounds like a fun lil project, hope everything goes well!
Thanks Mobile, I am dreading the rust thou

Originally Posted by Blind Driver
looks insane. i am also looking a the or fab bumper but from one xj owner to another get you bumper from here and save yourself 200 bucks http://www2.partstrain.com/store/det...location=Front

Nice, thanks for the link!

aside from the fun stuff, just replacing the "needed" parts is already around $2500. Thanks to Autozone, they cut my costs quite a bit. I went to my local Mom and Pop shop with the same list and they came up with over $4000!!!!! Autozone nearly cut my cost in half.

Last edited by SpitFire; 08-27-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

pictures!! I want pictures! haha. if your jeep body is rough like mine was, be prepared to see a ton more crap once the carpets out.

Dont get discouraged its worth it to have a cheap modded rig, instead of spending 2g on a stock xj in good shape
Old 08-30-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Bandit
pictures!! I want pictures! haha. if your jeep body is rough like mine was, be prepared to see a ton more crap once the carpets out.

Dont get discouraged its worth it to have a cheap modded rig, instead of spending 2g on a stock xj in good shape

Pic's are up!

The rust is bad, I will post pic's of the driver/passenger floor boards later on. The runners are completely shot.

Before any body work is done, I'll will be getting the wheel bearings and such fixed first.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Looks like you got some work ahead of you bro.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by BamaXJ
Looks like you got some work ahead of you bro.
Very much, I'm not to concerned about the outside body as I am with the inside. I need to focus on getting the body mounts fixed. The frame as far as I can tell is solid. There are a few spots here and there, but not to bad.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:29 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

How's the engine? I think this could be sweet rig with the proper time and effort (and money!). Good luck with everything keep us updated. I'd love to mod my rig more but I'm looking for a job.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by BamaXJ
How's the engine? I think this could be sweet rig with the proper time and effort (and money!). Good luck with everything keep us updated. I'd love to mod my rig more but I'm looking for a job.

Engine and trans are in great shape oddly enough. The original owners used it as a hunting vehicle, but took it in regularly for fluid/filter changes. The body has just seen a lot of rough spots, but no accidents.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:46 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

whoa, it is pretty rough. not horrible tho, scour craigslist, I found its easier to find a parts cherokee than try to junkyard most of the parts.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Bandit
whoa, it is pretty rough. not horrible tho, scour craigslist, I found its easier to find a parts Cherokee than try to junkyard most of the parts.
We have a local junkyard that is "suppose" to have 5-6 Cherokee's. I'm going to go check it out soon.

If I can find one with a decent body, I may just get that and repair it.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:59 AM

and the project is on hold.....already.Well aside from what HAS to be fixed.

Because of our wonderful economy not many people are having their homes bricked and less businesses as well. My brother inlaw (who gave the Jeep) was laid off from his brick laying job and had brain surgery. He is now back to work but they are very far behind on their bills, including the house payments. With any luck they will be able to keep their home. That is where my jeep build money will be going. Helping them. I'm disappointed I have to put it on hold, but better my sister and her husband keep their home.

I will continue in a few months!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM

So my Boss stopped by today and asked if I had thought custom bumpers...and I replied well yes!

I guess he has some crap metal but said I would new to go buy some still. That's fine by me.

UPDATE: 09/07/09 - 09/14/09
Replaced the Cat and muffler
Installed rear drivers side shock.
Rotated tires "almost cured my death wobble" bushing and tie rod ends still need to be replaced.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 AM

I may be in luck. I found a cash for clunkers 95 Cherokee at the local junkyard. There is literally NOTHING wrong with it. The engine of course has been destroyed, but the body and trans are in perfect shape.

I also found a Custom front bumper like I originally wanted, so now I won't have to make my own.

Total cost for the complete interior including steering column and Bumper will be $322. I think that is a good price. I'm going to go put some cash down so they will hold it for me.

With the interior and bumper out of the way, I still need replacement floors/lift/Tires and wheels.

That's all the update for now.

Quick Reply: Project SpitFire - 95 Cherokee