Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Mobile Man Cave

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Default Project: Mobile Man Cave

97 XJ w/97k
I got my XJ a few months ago and had to do a rear brake tube replacement almost immediately. Just before that happened I was able to pick up some new wheels on c-list for a song. Since then Ive made some interior upgrades including my safe under passenger seat, my humidor under the drivers seat, new stereo, and a few other things planned for the sound system. The goal is a "mobile man cave" for my drives to work. Planning a lift as well but that is taking plenty of thinking before pulling the trigger.
Here are some pics:
After wheels installed. Still need some center caps.

After removing stripes with an erasure wheel and my drill. That was a messy job.

My mobile humidor that lives under drivers seat. Some short and tasty Don Pepins waiting their turn to burn.

Gunvault cable locked to passenger seat frame.

My new Alpine headunit. Enjoying the features.

That stuff is fun and all but I still have plenty to get done. First on the list this weekend is a new radiator and all the goodies that go with it.

So, the goal here is a go anywhere do anything "manly" vehicle. Got to get some typical XJ things fixed like the radiator and clogged heater core and non-working AC. That keeps it mobile. Then get it lifted. That keeps it "do anything." Then finish the interior with my speakers, powered sub under seat, old school alpine amp, and new headliner. That should make it mine.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Looking awesome and I like the name lol. I like the wheels/tires on your rig.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Nice
Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 AM

thanks for the input guys.
So, hopefully this:

Will take care of this:
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 AM

Still trying to get all the residue off from my pinstripe removal! What a freakin mess.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Did you try

Goo-gone,
Goof - off, or
Wd-40 they all work pretty good removing adhesive residue
Keep wiping with a clean cotton cloth or old t-shirt
Good luck
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by muskrat
Did you try

Goo-gone,
Goof - off, or
Wd-40 they all work pretty good removing adhesive residue
Keep wiping with a clean cotton cloth or old t-shirt
Good luck
Don't forget brake parts cleaner! That stuff has 1,000 uses
Old 05-09-2013, 06:04 AM

Finally got the radiator, water pump, stat, hoses, fan clutch, and inlet tube replaced. That was quite a project! Did the belt too while I was at it.
Long story short, and probably worth mentioning was the issues with the inlet tube. First, the inlet tube can only be replaced by removing the water pump. Second, the new water pump does not come with one, the old one will probably be seized and require a torch IF its worth reusing. Mine was seized and also a bit rusted. Getting a new one for $10 from the parts store made sense to me.
Got it all back together and running good when a slight leak was spotted at the inlet tube! No freakin way! First, it was new and tight with sealant, second, no way I am pulling everything apart again. (for those that havent done a water pump/inlet tube it is bent steal that fits nicely in place but impossible to move once water pump is installed).
So, I started to get creative. I had to bend the hell out of the tube to get it out and that thing was hard to bend. Ends up the width of the nut and the top of the water pump didnt match so it leaked, barely. Maybe teflon tape would have been better but it was too late for that. I was thinking of cutting the tube just short enough to use a long socket on it and then adding some extra hose. Didnt seem like a bad idea but I was a bit worried about the quality of the product after it leaked and I bent it. So, did some research and sure enough I aint the only one been down this road. Trusty Cherokeeforum to the rescue. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...et-tube-99960/
I used the brass hose barb idea. Had to get a bit creative with the tubing as the heater core hose was a larger diameter but it is solid now. NO LEAKS!
I hope that helps some others out down the line.
Went ahead and did new plugs (had splitfires in there and they were looking like they needed replaced), wires, rotor and cap. Went with Accell all around with old style copper plugs.
First drive out of town today. Gonna be nice being back in the Cave.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 AM

Got a question:
I went ahead and replaced the bulb in the under hood light. Didnt work. The plug is good (tested it) so the ground must be bad. Does anyone know where that thing is grounded? What turns it on? Is it somehow grounded at the hood spring or something?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:39 PM

Here are some pics of the adaptation. I have it triple clamped where a reducer was needed. Correct hose or a full length replacement would have been better but I had neither.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 AM

Just did an injector swap and bored throttle body (thanks thexjfiles) install. About a 2 hour job. Would have liked to have had more time to clean some things but all had to be done while the youngest napped.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 AM

Had a holy sht moment pulling away from the house today. injectors and throttle body made a big change in throttle response. Happy with the upgrade! Now we will see about MPG.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 PM

Just ordered some BDS 3" lift shocks and coils. Got to save up for some leaf springs now.
Oil changed to Rotella t6 5-40. Wix 51515 filter. Oil pressure is a bit higher. Probably going to change it again at about the 2k mark.
Getting close to rolling 100,000 miles!