Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Jeepton (with EXTRA pretty pictures for ya'll to look at)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8L V6
Default Project Jeepton (with EXTRA pretty pictures for ya'll to look at)

So I know the name is wierd, but my dad had a few beers in him, he said it, and it has stuck. So Jeepton. Here it is sittin where I got it.

Last edited by humboldt2door; 09-22-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: stupid me not being able to make the picture work
Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Yes it worked

So I got it for $1000 off of this friend of the family, I know it might sound like a little much, but it is a 1985 with only 135k mi on it, a new engine as of 5k mi ago, a rebuilt tranny (mostly), a flowmaster (40 I think), and ~29" tires on 15x8 black steels.
Heres more pictures so everyone will keep reading

Last edited by humboldt2door; 09-22-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: I suck at making pictures appear
Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Default And now to the problems

As I said I paid $1000, I had the money and he needed the money so everything was ok. He talked me into the car and then we talked specifics. Basically I was dumb and fell in love with it, unconditionally.

It needed one more repair (yeah right) before it was good to go; when he had rebuilt the transmission, he had run out of money, all he had left to do was put in a new slave cylinder.

So I towed it home, which was a fiasco because he had it towed 100 mi then my tow truck had to come get it and tow it the last 100 mi, the middle point of these two tows was precisely in the middle of nowhere (East of Big Bar on 299 for any far-norcal-ers). Needless to say the transfer didnt go smoothly.

Oh and heres a cool picture of a spider I saw recently while wheelin to keep everyone going.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM

Default Gettin it goin

So I got it back to Eureka, and now the fun begins. I don't have many pictures of the fixing, because I was not on CF yet and did not realize that other people found pictures of this stuff interesting (little did I know).
So to sum up the repairs:

Things I knew were coming when I got the car:
New slave cylinder, new battery

Other things that needed fixing:
All of the rubber in the fuel line
Every single ******* hose under the hood
A new fuel pump

I was in a bad mood for a while.

I thought this would make a sick advertisement for cherokeeforum;

Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM

Default Now the fun stuff

So all of that did great for a while. The car had actually been sitting for 5 years (no wonder all the rubber hoses were bad!), but as I drove it around all the cobwebs shook off and it started running pretty good. Oh that reminds me I ended up paying 500 in back registration fees to the DMV to get my sticker, this deal gets worse and worse...
I even tested out the 4WD up in the snow when I went to get an XMAS tree. Sorry no pics of that but I was impressed.
I drove the car down to college with me, 620mi to UCSB, and back for the summer. It did great.
But as luck would have it, it turned out that 5yrs sitting had pretty much ruined my (supposedly new) tires, specifically the front right. It started to separate at the seam and I knew it wasn't long for this world, plus the vibes were a nightmare.
So in the interest of not dying on the highway, I began looking for a new set of tires. Heres what I found

And the best part, $140 a piece plus free shipping from discounttiredirect
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 PM

Default tires, now lift

I purchased 31x10.5's because they were the biggest I could stuff (and I do not use that word lightly, I mean really stuff) under a 2" budget boost.
So I got some of these

and some of these

Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Installation

All that was left was elbow grease and tools. The stupid blocks in the back wouldn't fit right (the "centerpin" nipple thing didn't fit in the whole) So I had to file on it with a metal file till I could jam it in there, and then a crap-ton of torque produced by a ratchet and 4 u bolts eventually popped it in.
Long story short, Here is how it sits today, congradulations, this is the reward for reading or at least clicking and scrolling to the bottom of the page.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Default Bad problems

Most of those pics are from a trip I took to Rock Front OHV park, which is between santa maria and bakersfield. The Jeep performed amazingly. I was able to climb things that I don't think I could have walked up, and the tires provided excellent traction (if anyone is looking for tires and wants them to look cool/perform really well offroad but wants great highway ride quality, I recommend these. they may be louder than I think but I don't notice because the jeep has no carpet and no installation, I cant hear anything over the engine at 65)

On the way back, The jeep had no power, I could barely get above 60mph, and sounded like it was missing. Oh I forgot to mention that I also have the stupid 2.8l V6.
So I have problems, and now I cant even put it in gear without it dying, and theres a gap in the engine sound like its missing (I'm not super knowledgeable) I replaced all the spark plugs, the plug wires, the distributor cap, and the rotor. It helped but I still cant get it to go and the problem is still there.

I need help. Any ideas?

Oh I totally forgot to mention the extra 600 that I dropped to get the carb rebuilt a while back...

Why do I love this money pit...oh I know, because its COOL.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

nice, any future plans?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

nice work
Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

Nice rig. Did you keep the spider?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:01 AM

Thanks,
No I didn't keep the spider.
Bare bones plans.
4.5" RC lift over xmas and much more
But first it needs to get running
More plans to come tomorrow
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 AM

Year: 1997

What kind of GoodYears are those your running? Any comments on them?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Thumbs up

Those are the Wrangler Duratracs. I think they're really new, I had to look hard to find reviews for them online. I can't comment on the tread life yet because I haven't had them for that long, but they are the most capable all terrain I have come across. Way better than my dads BFG AT's. If there was a category between Mud terrain and AT, than these would be there. They ride super smooth on the highway too; A little whirring / humming sound but its not too bad and I can barely hear it above the jeep anyways.
I've used them in every condition except super deep mud so far, and they've never had any problems...winters comin' though
Plus I got em really cheap at discount tire.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by humboldt2door
Those are the Wrangler Duratracs. I think they're really new, I had to look hard to find reviews for them online. I can't comment on the tread life yet because I haven't had them for that long, but they are the most capable all terrain I have come across. Way better than my dads BFG AT's. If there was a category between Mud terrain and AT, than these would be there. They ride super smooth on the highway too; A little whirring / humming sound but its not too bad and I can barely hear it above the jeep anyways.
I've used them in every condition except super deep mud so far, and they've never had any problems...winters comin' though
Plus I got em really cheap at discount tire.
K thanks. Good lookin rig buddy. Only reason I asked is my brother workers at a local Goodyear Ditributor and I didn't know if those was the Duratracs or not, he says they can get extremely good deals on em

Quick Reply: Project Jeepton (with EXTRA pretty pictures for ya'll to look at)