Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Indestructible (Need Ideas)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 Stroker
Default Project: Indestructible (Need Ideas)

Alright guys, so right now I'm starting to dump all my money into my jeep, and I want to make sure I do it right. I have an 1988 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (4.0 Straight six). I already bought a 5.5" Long arm lift kit by Rubicon Express. Here's a link to the same thing I bought, just a different supplier:
( http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rub...bo-p-4901.html ). $1800 Paid
I just took that to a powder-coating shop Friday and I'm getting everything possible with it powder-coated red. $450 Paid
Yesterday I just placed my order for my frame stiffener with the front extensions ( http://www.tntcustoms.com/Jeep_chero...tiffeners.aspx )
from T&T Customs. $220 Paid
So when my lift is done getting powder-coated and my frame stiffeners come in I'm going to put my Jeep on the lift and start installing. (I might start the tearing down process early)
While I have my jeep on the lift for installing the lift, I'm going to tear my straight six down and make it into a stoker. $1000-$2000?
(EDIT) so far on the stroker have over $4500 easy, probably closer to $6000
After all that and other misc. work that will need to be done (IE: New Drive line, maybe re-gearing, fixing my A.C. and other wiring issues, etc.) I'm going to Rhino-line the whole outside of my Jeep along with my rims.
Right now I'm thinking black. $800-$900
A tire shop that I'm good friends with has some 32's by 11.5's saved for me and he's giving me a great deal of $800
My next plan is to build the exterior roll-cage. I have a plan for this since I have a four door. When it come's to the sides across the doors I'm going to make the side bars latch so that they swing open with the doors. The roll-cage is either going to be rhino-lined red or powder-coated red, haven't decided yet. $???-$1???

So basically that's my complete plan for now until I get more money. Do you guys have any advice or tips and what do you think of the ideas. Anything I need to know first? Or any flaws in the plan.
Here's a current picture, construction starts next week:
(It wouldn't let me upload one so I'm just linking one from my FB)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by BPranes; 08-31-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:01 AM

first off, you have some very big plans, and i hope everything works out as planned. you are wanting to put alot of money into this rig, looks like around 6-8k. what are the plans for the axles? regear, lockers? Some advice though, look into bigger tires if you are going to go with a 5.5 inch lift. 32's are going to look small. are you planning on cutting the fenders? i would go with atleast 33's. good luck on the build though
Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by spaz_22
first off, you have some very big plans, and i hope everything works out as planned. you are wanting to put alot of money into this rig, looks like around 6-8k. what are the plans for the axles? regear, lockers? Some advice though, look into bigger tires if you are going to go with a 5.5 inch lift. 32's are going to look small. are you planning on cutting the fenders? i would go with atleast 33's. good luck on the build though
Yea, I know the plans seem too big and I'm not worried about how much money I put into it. As for the axles, my plan was to replace them with the best after I broke my stock one's, lol. Do you have a suggestion of what I should do for the axles?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:18 PM

What should i do about my Jeep interior. Rhinoline some of my dash red?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

best money axles can buy? I'd like to see some rockjock 60's

as far as those TNT stiffs, see if you can drill some rosette holes in them. not my first choice in aftermarket stiffening options

can't wait to see those latching side bars on the cage
Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Sub'd. I hope this goes exactly the way you want it to.

For the dash, never really seen anything i like besides all custom. I hate when people paint just the bezel or something...

Pics and good luck.

Ps. Ya'll hiring?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 AM

Pics will be coming soon. All I'm waiting on right now is for all of my lift kit to be done at the powdercoating shop and then construction starts. He says he won't be done until the 9th because he's so busy and its the fourth of July and all. That's fine, as long as he does a good job, I don't want a ****ty powder-coating job
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Atmos
best money axles can buy? I'd like to see some rockjock 60's

as far as those TNT stiffs, see if you can drill some rosette holes in them. not my first choice in aftermarket stiffening options

can't wait to see those latching side bars on the cage
I'm looking into the Rockjock 60's now
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Last edited by BPranes; 12-16-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 AM

Default Here's picture of my Jeep now.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...1&d=1372686580

I'm having issues uploading photo's, so I hope this works
Attached Thumbnails Project: Indestructible (Need Ideas)-img_0233-2-.jpg  
Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BPranes
I should say though, I have dana 30's on their stock right now. I've heard from people that I'm lucky to have the dana's and that they're rare. They're still not worth keeping though, right?
rare? not at all. dana 35 rear is useless. good luck giving it away for free. the front dana 30 years 91-99 are stout little axles and can be built to handle up to 35" tires. I see them sold for maybe $150 on craigslist

I kept/built my D30 front. it holds up well to my 35's. but the brakes suck and the gears suck. not something I would do again. if you're looking at RJ60's I hope to see some 37-40" tires on your rig
Old 07-03-2013, 04:25 AM

And should i put my 12,000 pound winch on a removable hitch so i can move it from front to back, or put a permantent bracket on it for the front. Or even wait till i build my roll cage and put it on the front bumper? hmmm, choices
Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

Name:  we_need_pics_zps3817dc4a.gif
Views: 53
Size:  29.0 KB

Its important you figure out if you have a D35 rear or 8.25. The D35 is a joke. But I know a guy that ran his welded 8.25 on 37" boggers without issues. The 8.25 is acually a decent rear end and will hold up to what 95% of people put a xj threw.

unless you have fat bank account, I'd keep he D30 front (pretty stout little axle!) eliminate the vac disconnect shaft if yours has that and swap newer shafts in so you have the larger Ujoints.

Rear, on the cheap I'd find a 8.25 rear. bolts right up, just use the U bolts from the donor vehicle.

Slightly more expensive but much stronger rear, ford 8.8 from a explorer. this is what I'll be doing to mine. all the brackets and a truss kit that are all ready to weld on, ubolts and ubolt plate ect. and a truss can be bought as a kit for about $200.

If I were wanting to dump a couple G's into axles, D60 front and a shaved corp. 14BFF would be my choice.

Last edited by crdude; 07-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by crdude

Its important you figure out if you have a D35 rear or 8.25. The D35 is a joke. But I know a guy that ran his welded 8.25 on 37" boggers without issues. The 8.25 is acually a decent rear end and will hold up to what 95% of people put a xj threw.

unless you have fat bank account, I'd keep he D30 front (pretty stout little axle!) eliminate the vac disconnect shaft if yours has that and swap newer shafts in so you have the larger Ujoints.

Rear, on the cheap I'd find a 8.25 rear. bolts right up, just use the U bolts from the donor vehicle.

Slightly more expensive but much stronger rear, ford 8.8 from a explorer. this is what I'll be doing to mine. all the brackets and a truss kit that are all ready to weld on, ubolts and ubolt plate ect. and a truss can be bought as a kit for about $200.

If I were wanting to dump a couple G's into axles, D60 front and a shaved corp. 14BFF would be my choice.
I do have the Dana 35's on their now. And putting money into this is not a problem at all for me, i don't care how much it is. Right now I'm pretty stuck on looking at these rockjock 60's online and having a brand new axle built the way i want it

Quick Reply: Project: Indestructible (Need Ideas)