Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Heep Blue(get it? eh eh?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Project: Heep Blue(get it? eh eh?)

Picked up this blue '93 XJ country last week for 800 bucks from some kid who wasn't willing to put any work into it and just wanted it gone. Interior is in almost immaculate condition, body is half decent with a couple dings here and there, and only a small amount of rust on the floor panels, and nowhere else(that I've found at least!)

Project: Heep Blue(get it? eh eh?)-lp7syqr.jpg

Driving it home an hour was probably the scariest experience of my life, as it had severe death wobble due to a shot track bar. Got it home, picked up a new one that an autoparts place here had in stock for some reason, and marked down super cheap. Got rid of most of my problems, just needs new tie rod ends in the steering and she'll be mint!

So first things first, the tires on the keep were coming apart at the belt, so I ordered a set of General Grabber AT2s in 31x10.5, got a pretty good deal on them brand new(150 per tire, not bad for up here in the great white north)

Name:  GSt7rVhl.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  43.7 KB

Knowing that I needed the new tires put on right away before I'm able to get my lift, I got started doing some cutting and folding, not a great job so far but the tires go on tomorrow so I had to do it tonight!

Name:  82OkInSl.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  X1vTeoDl.jpg
Size:  50.1 KB

Still got lots left to do on those, gotta clean up the edges on the front and get everything all smoothed out and painted over on the rear.

So that brings me to what I've got accomplished so far, feeling pretty good having done this all basically in a few days, first time building a 4x4 as well!

Plans right now are to order the lift in this week, and hopefully get over to my friends shop and get that installed ASAP. Plan is for a 3inch lift with new leaf packs are the ones on here have sagged pretty good. Going to be my mountain bike hauler thats capable off-road!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998, 1993
Engine: 4.0

I'll be checking on your thread.

should pick up a more appealing set of rims before mounting them new tires IMO
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 98REDXJ2
I'll be checking on your thread.

should pick up a more appealing set of rims before mounting them new tires IMO
I thought about it, but I gotta figure out a way to rig up some fender flares before i can go with a set of wheels with good backspacing, the RCMP around here is ruthless when it comes to throwing out vehicle inspections. That and my budget is stretched super thin right now thanks to an unexpected vet bill!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998, 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bobvila
I thought about it, but I gotta figure out a way to rig up some fender flares before i can go with a set of wheels with good backspacing, the RCMP around here is ruthless when it comes to throwing out vehicle inspections. That and my budget is stretched super thin right now thanks to an unexpected vet bill!
yeah it sucks. I'm a college student and i just started a second job.

you should at least paint them black or something?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: l6 HO

Your trim job doesnt look bad at all! Ive seen FAR worse. I would label yours as a clean job really. Just clean up the edges and use some kind of paint/sealer to prevent rust and youll be golden.

What are your plans for her? I had a 96 country. Is it just me or do the country models just attract rust like crazy? Mine was so rusty it was the main reason i got rid of it, which sucked bc it had a MINT leather/woodgrain interior,every option available, the jeep had only 104k when i bought it cheap for 1k. I was the 2nd owner. The original gave it to his son who used it as a surf wagon and never sprayed it down when he came off the beach... Leading to an unreal amount of rust.

I had to drive my country home 40 miles with no brakes because the lines were so rusted out so bad there were portions of them missing.. Ran,shifted,and drove like a dream though.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

lol i still need to trim the rear on mine
Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by cleenrob
lol i still need to trim the rear on mine
Do it! I was afraid to do mine for a while I'm not gonna lie but as long as your conscious while you do it and pay attention it will come out just fine.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by NewJerseyXJ609

Do it! I was afraid to do mine for a while I'm not gonna lie but as long as your conscious while you do it and pay attention it will come out just fine.
I was gonna do it while lifting the rear but I ran outa time. Lol
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Your trim job doesnt look bad at all! Ive seen FAR worse. I would label yours as a clean job really. Just clean up the edges and use some kind of paint/sealer to prevent rust and youll be golden.

What are your plans for her? I had a 96 country. Is it just me or do the country models just attract rust like crazy? Mine was so rusty it was the main reason i got rid of it, which sucked bc it had a MINT leather/woodgrain interior,every option available, the jeep had only 104k when i bought it cheap for 1k. I was the 2nd owner. The original gave it to his son who used it as a surf wagon and never sprayed it down when he came off the beach... Leading to an unreal amount of rust.

I had to drive my country home 40 miles with no brakes because the lines were so rusted out so bad there were portions of them missing.. Ran,shifted,and drove like a dream though.
yea even my country had rustand its never been farther north than oklahoma!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Yep, I picked up a can of some sealer and did the wheel wells today! Also did some spraying on the front and picked up some trim for it.

Name:  NANLc8cl.jpg
Size:  37.1 KB

Pretty stoked on how clean it makes it look!

Went into town yesterday to get the tires put on, and on the way there I started overheating. A few days ago the heater control valve broke from age and when I replaced it I forgot to top up the coolant and water mix, so I got 5 minutes down the road and boom, car died. God I felt stupid. All sorted out now though and the tires will be on tomorrow!

As for my plans for the jeep, 3 inch lift with 31x10.5s, going to be my MTB shuttle rig that can have some fun out in the bush. Either buying or fabbing up one of these racks on my own

Name:  98a6aLi.jpg
Size:  79.2 KB
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 PM

More progress!

Name:  Gn4ZMOWl.jpg
Size:  64.0 KB

But when I went to go adjust the steering stops to keep them from rubbing the LCAs, the bolt on the passenger side on sheered off, awesome
Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 AM

Finally after months of stupid **** with this thing, a rather large update!

Project: Heep Blue(get it? eh eh?)-xzcjhdi.jpg

Broke almost every bolt trying to get the lift installed, absolutely ridiculous how much corrosion there was to get through