Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Greybeard

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Project Greybeard

Hey everyone. My name is Scott, I just registered over here, so I thought I would throw a build thread up on my ZJ. I will have a few posts back to back, because this is a copy/paste of my build thread to get you all caught up to where the jeep currently stands. I used to have a yj on 35s with lots of modifications, but stupidly sold it a few years ago. Well, I stumbled across this 98 for a song, so I bought it. 98 zj Laredo 4.0 auto with the np242 t case. Immediate plans are a set of 31s, only because it needs tires stat, and 35s arent happening until after all the appropriate modifications have been made (I.E. getting rid of the Dana 35). I will start collecting parts for the build once I do some standard maintenance on the rig. Parts will consist of:

Ford 8.8 rear axle

Lockers front and rear

Bumpers, sliders

Full interior cage

35s on beadlocks

But here is how it's currently sitting.... bone stock.

Scott

Old 03-01-2019, 03:15 PM

It's not much but I replaced the battery that was in it. The PO had put a group 65 battery in that was way too big for the jeep, and it was on its last legs. A quick trip to Napa auto parts and i got the right battery in it...

Next up is fixing the battery terminals...

Old 03-01-2019, 03:16 PM

It's the little things.. replaced the broken driver's side mirror. Previous owner had taped a plastic fogged mirror to it... he said he never fixed it because it was around $120 for a power heated mirror. Found it online at rockauto.com for $32 shipped. Works like a charm.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Today was replacing the head unit. I needed something that was bluetooth compatible but didn't need a CD player as I gave up on those years ago.. found the cheap head unit, wiring harness and install kit on Amazon for less than $50. Works for me. Install easy easy.. then, as I was getting out of the jeep, the interior door handle snapped off, right in my hand. Sad... but I have another one on the way...

Old 03-01-2019, 03:18 PM

This morning was replacing the broken drivers door handle. Pretty easy to do, only took me about 15 minutes... this weekend is an oil change and brake inspection.

And yes I realize it is chrome and my old one was black, but the chrome one was all I could find in my searching. Good enough for me as long as I can get out of the jeep haha..
Old 03-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Tomorrow I have plans for an oil change, air filter change, if I get ambitious enough, I'll replace my broken header panel and install my new headlight assemblies, and replace the two rear tires with the two best ones from this...

Picked up a set of 4 wheels and tires, in the size I need and the same wheel design, in order to replace the two bald tires on #projectgreybeard until I can purchase a suspension lift... best part, the guy wanted $50 for the whole set, and he only lives about a mile from me .
Old 03-01-2019, 03:21 PM

Changed the oil, changed the air filter, put on two of the used tire/wheels I needed to make the tires safe again.. put in the new headlight assemblies. They arent perfect but they work better than the fogged up ones. They are cheaply made, and my header panel behind the grill is broken, so eventually I'll need to fix that if I want the headlights perfectly straight.. but right now, I'm not worried about it.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:25 PM

Small update, after talking with Nick at Kolak Performance, I went ahead and ordered the Iron Rock Offroad 5.5" Rock Link suspension kit. He gave me a great deal, and even talked me into a kit that would better suit my needs. I cant wait to get it, although it may be a while before I get it installed, as the temps here are in the 10-s and 20's, and my garage is not heated.

That is about all I have for the build thread at this point. I do have some basic maintenance to do, but I'm not sure if ya'll are really interested in that part of it

Scott
Old 03-06-2019, 01:21 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: L6

Now thats a clean zj man! I got a good feeling about this build
Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

You could replace those cables instead of fixing the terminals. I can make them if u need me to
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 PM

With the help of some friends, we got my 5.5" Iron Rock Offroad Rock Link kit installed. The rear was easy, the front was a little more challenging. I still have a few odds and ends to get on before I can test drive ( sway bar links, steering stabilizer, need to go through and make sure all the bolts are torqued and all arms are greased).. My steering wheel is now exactly 180* out when the wheels are straight, which is kinda what I expected, so now I need to figure out how to fix that, and then I need to get the jeep aligned, and then I can order and install tires for it... I'm thinking 295/70/17 Milestar Patagonias... On to a few pics.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Looks like your jeep skipped leg day! lol

Great start on it man!
Going to look beefy with the new tires!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by thetastelingers
Looks like your jeep skipped leg day! lol

Great start on it man!
Going to look beefy with the new tires!
thanks man. Definetly needs tires next.. it's on the list, probably after alignment and such.