Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Green Machine!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Jio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Project Green Machine!

So I bought a 99 xj in the middle of December for $1000. Has 143,500 miles. Only issues with it was no headliner cloth, 2 windows don't row down, ac wasn't cold and the check engine and airbag light were on. According to all the jeeps for sale on craigslist this looks like a steal. What do all you guys think?
Attached Images   
Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Jio

Check list of what I want and was told to do:

Resolve check engine light
AC
Oil & filter change
Transmission drain & fill x3
Diff fluid change (front & rear)
Coolant flush
Brake fluid change
Power steering fluid change x3
Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor
Roof
Windows
Sound system
4.5" lift (input needed on this)
31s or 32s tires new/used wheels

Particularly in that order due to wanting to make sure jeep runs solid before investing in lift. I'm sure I've missed a few things.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Jio

About 3 weeks after buying my jeep waiting at the drive thru at mc donalds (craving nugggets haha) my radiator exploded and spit out all the coolant 😕 so i replaced the radiator, thermostat and the coolant. I can check that off my list 😅 Since then I/my buddies/mechanic have done the following:

Resolved the check engine light problem (NSS replacement needed, and a sensor for the emission)
Added freeon & stop leak for AC. Still blowing cold
Oil & filter change...broke the oil pressure sensor while taking filter off. My luck!
Transmission was so low that the draining left it empty so I refilled completely with Dex/Merc III
Changed the front diff fluid will be doing back soon as i have some free time.

After those minor tunes. I noticed a difference instantly. Could just be my head. Really does ride great though and the 4x4 works perfect thank God cause it was kind of stuck when I bought it.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Jio

While taking a look at the spark plugs it was brought to my attention that I have a leak from the valve cover. Greeeaaat!!! Yesterday I took the cover off, degreased the hell out of it. Put a new felpro gasket and also rtv.
New champion cooper spark plugs with Bosch wiring set as told by CF members. New distributor cap and rotor. Sanded some rust around the area, repainted valve cover, air box, hoses. Did not get the right oil pressure sensor from junk yard so I will be buying one today from AutoZone. Will let you know how it's running soon as everything else breaks in. But as i was walking around junkyard I saw some stock roof racks for my jeep guy told me $35 dollars for them will be going back soon and will negotiate price. Or is that a good deal? They're in good looking condition, didn't see rust. Input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

If it is rust free then that is definitely a good deal.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Jio

Ok I have replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, wiring set, distributor cap, and rotor. Replaced the oil pressure sensor and not the jeep is running like straight up 💩💩💩!!!!! And making a knocking sound which it wasn't doing before. Also the whole car vibrates once i hit 50mph.
The mechanic said that the car needs to adjust to the new sensor and plugs. He says everything should be good after 100 miles of driving. Is this right? I'm paranoid now cause before this my jeep was running like a champ.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Jio

Ok I replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, wiring set, distributor cap, and rotor. Also replaced the oil pressure sensor. Now my jeep is running completely bad, vibrating when I get to 50mph and making a knocking sound.
The mechanic says the jeep needs to adjust to the new sensor and plugs. That after 100 miles everything should run perfect. Is this right? I'm paranoid because before this my jeep was running like a champ.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Assuming you got everything placed properly, did you set the timing?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Jio

Originally Posted by pittman71
Assuming you got everything placed properly, did you set the timing?
Timing for what? A mechanic did the work.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member

It isn't always necessary when replacing these parts but if the mechanic messed with the distributor, the timing could be out of adjustment. Other than that the plug wires could be routed incorrectly. I have never heard of any vehicle "needing to get used to a new sensor or plugs." I would not drive it in the meantime. How reputable is the mechanic?

You will get more attention/help for this issue if you post in OEM technical area.

Last edited by pittman71; 02-02-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:23 PM

Engine: 4.0 HO

i was of the understanding the timing wasn't adjustable??

but ya i'd first recheck the cap n rotor/plug wire routing/plugs...and since you/mechanic were messing around near the motor, make sure you didn't leave something vacuum related messed up
Old 02-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Jio

It isn't always necessary when replacing these parts but if the mechanic messed with the distributor, the timing could be out of adjustment. Other than that the plug wires could be routed incorrectly. I have never heard of any vehicle "needing to get used to a new sensor or plugs." I would not drive it in the meantime. How reputable is the mechanic?

You will get more attention/help for this issue if you post in OEM technical area.
Thanks it's solved! The wires were were wrong at numbers 3 & 4. Switched them nd now jeep is back on beast mode!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Did you ever get that roof rack?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Jio

Did you ever get that roof rack?
Not yet but I saw a few at the junk yard. Just haven't had the time to go back. These are the racks that baskets go on not the baskets themselves.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Jio

It's been awhile. Srry for the delay. Let me update this thread by starting off with I ordered the 3.5 inch old man emu ultimate hybrid lift from dpg off road after over an hour on the phone with dirk (great guy) talking about what i need/should get.

Also ordered APN header and brown dog engine mounts.

Quick Reply: Project Green Machine!