Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Frankenstein

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Project Frankenstein

Hello CF people,

I've decided to post my jeep build. As you may have gathered from the title, I'll be putting used parts in to an XJ to make my masterpiece.

Here's the background. I'm headed to law school in August, and I wanted something fairly cheap that I can work on (also had to be 4wd). I've had plenty of trucks, but I wanted something different. I've always been fascinated with XJs but I could never find one that hasn't been messed with or the right price. Well I finally did. I bought this beauty:

[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cherokeeforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-
image_e19b86d4f4a946575f27de9814fadf3ecb84b7b8.jpe g[/IMG]

Looks great right? Wel it's a solid XJ. Only has 94,000 miles, and it's mechanically sound. Problems. Large dents in driver's side doors and RUST!

For the most part, I could live with the body problems, however 2 days after getting this one I was searching the web for a donor, and I found this beauty:

This is a 2001 2wd with 199k miles. I picked up this entire rig for a cool $450. After looking over the jeep there's no rust and hardly a scratch or dent on her. The only thing wrong with it is a blown head gasket. That's no problem though because the black is mechanically sound. You can probably guess where this is headed, but here's the plan:

Drop all drivetrain (including engine) from the black one and move to the blue one. From everything I've read this should be pretty straightforward. I'll then pick through the remaining parts to create the best possible vehicle from the two. Afterwards, I'll part out whatever I have left. I also plan to do a couple thing such as REAR MAIN SEAL replacement and lift while I'm converting since this will be the easiest time to do everything. Once I'm done parting out, I should recoup most of my cost of the second XJ and then some possibly.

I'll be keeping this thread updated throughout the process. Also, if anybody has suggestions or advice for the swap or anything else, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Small update: I ordered some 31x10.5r15 all terrains and 3 inch lift from Rustys. I purchased the add a leaf. Hopefully this weekend I'll get some work done on the swap. It's Father's Day so we will see how much gets done. By the following weekend, I'll definitely have some things done.