Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Beach Jeep"

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.0 straight six
Default Project "Beach Jeep"

I'm getting back in the jeep game. It's been a few years since I sold my old jeep and I regret it every day. Since I sold my old jeep I've had a few different vehicles. I kinda got into the diesels. I sold the jeep to buy a 2003 4door long bed cummins 4x4 and hated the truck with a passion. That was a horrible decison. I then sold the cummins and picked up a 2007 Duramax which was a sweet truck. I had it tuned and other supporting mods and could break the tires loose at a 30 roll. It was lots of fun but I hated taking it to the beach and through the mud. To expensive of a truck to beat up. I drove it for a while but I was switching jobs and was broke so was forced to sell it. After I sold it I was set on buying another cherokee but was having a really hard time finding one that was clean and could be my dd. I needed a vehicle to drive so I settled on a 1999 Tahoe that was clean as a whistle and I installed a 6" lift and put on some 35" M/Ts. After having the Tahoe a few months I got a real good job with AT&T and so I went out and bought me another Duramax this one was a 2003 ext cab with a 6" lift a 35's. After buying the Duramax I sold the Tahoe. I liked the Tahoe but it was a crappy dd and the ifs sucked as far as it being a toy. After selling the Tahoe I picked up a 1998 4x4 cherokee sport with 170k. It's is a little rough and was a beach vehicle for a girl who I went to high school with. But I only paid $1,000 for it.

Pics of the old jeep

Pic of the old Duramax

Pic of the old Tahoe

This is my current DD

And a pic of the new jeep when I got it.

When I picked it up it was missing the front drive shaft a few misc interior pieces and the exhaust. Has about 3ft of pipe coming off the manifolds and that's it. Little bit of rust on the roof, rockers, and passenger side floor board. It runs great though. I let my buddy drive it everyday to and from work there for awhile and other than a headache from the exhaust it gave him no problems.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Seasoned Member

My plans for the jeep are to completely monstaline it inside and out. Trim the hell out of it and run 35's on around 3" inches of lift, regear to 4:88s and build some sweet bumpers for it.
The first thing I wanted to do was address the rust in the roof before it got any worst.

First thing I did was spray it down with paint stripper. After I let the paint stripper work its magic I sprayed it down with the power washer to expose all the rust that was hidden under the paint.

Then I got out the grinder and took everything to bare metal

I sprayed it down with ospho and primed it with a stops rust primer

Then after doing all that work I did some research which I should have done in the first place and found out that the primer I used isn't good for monstaliner. Apparently monstaliner is picky about what primer it adheres too. So I had to re sand the whole thing down. This time I bondoed the holes over and sprayed it with the correct primer.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Seasoned Member

After taking care of the roof I just kinda went crazy cutting out all the old rust and getting ready to install some 2x6 in the place of my rockers.

Here's some pics of the rust on my floor pan before and after I cut it out. I still need to go pick up some sheet metal to patch it with.