Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overland/DD build

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Overland/DD build

So i’ve been looking at these Forums for a while and decided I might as well make my own just to keep track of my progress over the next while. This is going to be a VERY SLOW build. The plan is to have it be an overland car as well as my daily driver. It is my first car and i’m not very good at fixing cars but i’m learning and i’m gunna have to get good at it quick because let’s be honest I bought a jeep. This picture was close to the day I got it but i’ll post more pics of my progress. So let’s get into it!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:42 PM

Haha got stuck that same day.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:43 PM

This is a 1995 cherokee on 3 inches and 31 inch tires
Old 05-12-2019, 10:46 PM

Me and my grandpa replaced the rocker panels pretty quick because they were basically completely gone from rust. It was a pain in the butt. took 6ish hours.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:50 PM

Decided to paint the side, flares, grills and bumpers. I was getting sick of the peeling gross grey side stuff. And i’ve never liked chrome.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:55 PM

Had to replace my alternator and battery because they were old and bad. but that was like the only maintenance I did on it for the first couple months of having it. Until something went wrong in my rear differential so I ended up taking it to a shop and 800 dollars later it was drivable again.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:58 PM

Took it camping and got pretty muddy. Found a really cool spot up in the mountains though!
Old 05-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Got a steal on a roof rack (literally got it for free) and I really like the look of them so I threw it on.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:02 PM

It slides side to side on the crossbars and i’ve literally tightened it down as far as it goes... any good ideas? I’ll probably end up throwing some shelf liner under the mounts to hold it on tighter or something.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 PM

Built a cool toolbox in the back. Very handy. It can store a lot more than you’d think.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:09 PM

And now we are all caught up. I’ll be updating this every time I do anything to the jeep feel free to comment and ask questions or anything you feel like you want to tell me. I can’t promise I can answer your questions but i’ll try. The future plans are to just make this a fairly capable offroad vehicle that can pack in a bunch and go on cool overland trips. Eventually I want to be riding on 33s but I’m basically broke so it’ll be a while.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Nice Jeep. I own an '00 now but my first XJ was a '96. Have a soft spot for the older body style but like the newer body style too.

Like your little box there in the cargo area. Jeep actually made one for there. Some say Jeep. Some say Lido. But to the best of my knowledge they are all made by Lido. Kinda rare but I managed to pick one up awhile back local to me. Not in the Jeep though.

See that plastic piece in the picture behind your box? That is one of the 4 mounting points for the cargo cover. The 2 behind the seat are different and have a metal support behind the panel that they are attached to.

If you ever take them off cause you don't want them there, you will expose holes though, let me know. Would buy all 4, the hardware, and especially the metal supports behind the panel I mentioned.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Nice Jeep. I own an '00 now but my first XJ was a '96. Have a soft spot for the older body style but like the newer body style too.

Like your little box there in the cargo area. Jeep actually made one for there. Some say Jeep. Some say Lido. But to the best of my knowledge they are all made by Lido. Kinda rare but I managed to pick one up awhile back local to me. Not in the Jeep though.

See that plastic piece in the picture behind your box? That is one of the 4 mounting points for the cargo cover. The 2 behind the seat are different and have a metal support behind the panel that they are attached to.

If you ever take them off cause you don't want them there, you will expose holes though, let me know. Would buy all 4, the hardware, and especially the metal supports behind the panel I mentioned.

are you talking about these?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Cglassey13
are you talking about these?
Those are the ones. The one in the second is the one I was saying has a metal support bracket behind the plastic with, I believe, 2 screws in it.
By the way. Thanks for the shots. Especially the back one. Gives me an idea of where it is positioned better.
I am attempting to put the retractable '96 and down cargo cover in my '00. '97 and up just came with this cheesy tarp.

Last edited by Ralph77; 05-13-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Those are the ones. The one in the second is the one I was saying has a metal support bracket behind the plastic with, I believe, 2 screws in it.
By the way. Thanks for the shots. Especially the back one. Gives me an idea of where it is positioned better.
I am attempting to put the retractable '96 and down cargo cover in my '00. '97 and up just came with this cheesy tarp.
I’d be willing to sell them to you for sure but there is one problem... the one that is on the driver side by the taillight has been broken a bit. It’s not unusable you might need to jimmy rig it a bit though. I’ll send a pic as soon as I can get to my car. Probably around lunch. time.

Quick Reply: Overland/DD build