Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New jeep owner seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New jeep owner seeking advice

I just bought my first jeep, and I'm pretty green when it comes to anything about vehicles. I need some advice as to what I need to look for to get what I want out of the jeep. It's a 97 jeep Cherokee sport 5 speed 2 wheel drive. I'm looking to make it a mean street vehicle. I'm needing to know good tire sized to widen it out, and what kinda stance y'all think would look good. Also I'm needing to know what kind of exhaust and muffler would be good, I'm looking for something that isn't too loud but can roar when I hammer down on it. Thanks guys, and sorry if I didn't get all the wording right!
Attached Thumbnails New jeep owner seeking advice-image.png  
Old 06-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Ty McClendon
I just bought my first jeep, and I'm pretty green when it comes to anything about vehicles. I need some advice as to what I need to look for to get what I want out of the jeep. It's a 97 jeep Cherokee sport 5 speed 2 wheel drive. I'm looking to make it a mean street vehicle. I'm needing to know good tire sized to widen it out, and what kinda stance y'all think would look good. Also I'm needing to know what kind of exhaust and muffler would be good, I'm looking for something that isn't too loud but can roar when I hammer down on it. Thanks guys, and sorry if I didn't get all the wording right!
Welcome! As far as the tires go what exactly are you looking for? Taller, wider, both? As far as exhaust goes from what I have experienced the 4.0 sounds better at idle the full throttle. Had a flow master 44 on my old one and any low rpm sounded good, but once your past about 2500 it kinda Peters out... Most of us here a 4X4 guys so I dunno how much advice you'll be able to get as far as the stance goes lol.

Last edited by DeltaOP4; 06-12-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaOP4
Welcome! As far as the tires go what exactly are you looking for? Taller, wider, both? As far as exhaust goes from what I have experienced the 4.0 sounds better at idle the full throttle. Had a flow master 44 on my old one and any low rpm sounded good, but once your past about 2500 it kinda Peters out... Most of us here a 4X4 guys so I dunno how much advice you'll be able to get as far as the stance goes lol.
I want it wide with some fat tires. I am also wanting to squat it but I don't know how low. And I had a buddy tell me about the Flowmaster super 44, what is your opinion on that in regards to what I'm looking for?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Since you are "green" when it comes to vehicles, I'd learn all the routine maintenance first. Make sure it's all fresh with a full tune-up, inspect/replace all the belts/hoses, brakes, etc. Then I'd focus on stance and wheels. There have been a few 2wd builds, search, most builds are named "race jeep" or similar due to performance being the primary function. There was even one custom dropped on bags, rockers damn near scraped the street, won't get much more stanced than that. The sky (or the ground in this case) is the limit.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:16 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

As far as mufflers go, most people go with the flowmaster 40 or 44. I went with the 50 just for a slightly deeper sound. The 40's in my opinion drone out a bit.

Now the tire topic. You'll probably need to dive into some research to figure out what would suit your needs. Without knowing ride height or any other clearance plans that you have, we can't really give you much guidance. It could help if you find some pics of other xj's that have the look that you're going for and post them up. That might be the best way to clarify what you want and we can go from there.