Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and improved battery cables

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Thumbs up New and improved battery cables

My battery cable and terminals weren’t in the best shape and my winch (T-Max 10k 6.6hp) felt under powered so I decided to not only replace the old nasty stuff but upgrade it. After a little research I found that 2 gauge welding wire would be the best suited because it is a bit more flexible and handles heat much better. I got a hold of selarep on Naxja and he shipped me six very heavy duty cables and two new HD terminals.

I replaced the pos. battery to power distribution center, battery to starter, power distribution center to alternator, neg. battery to block, battery to fender, and firewall to block.

I am very happy with the upgrade! It seems like the Jeep starts quicker now too. I will be upgrading to a 126A V8 ZJ alternator soon as well as upgrading my winch wiring to 1G welding wire (also from selarep)

Now for some pictures…

Before

Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Member

What I got in the kit from selarep

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

After

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

That looks like a good kit I'm getting mine from these guys http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/electric.html If not I will just do them myself with the welding cord.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by bigbadxj
That looks like a good kit I'm getting mine from these guys http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/electric.html If not I will just do them myself with the welding cord.
thats were I was going to get mine, but I think 1G would have been too think. I dont see any reason to go past 2G unless its your winch wires. Do your self a favor and email rselarep@yahoo.com or PM selarep on naxja and compair prices I dont think you will regret it! let him know I sent ya

by the way where in ohio?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

dude that looks like a nice upgrade
Old 05-09-2009, 12:40 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

If I might ask how much did you pay for the cables?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

Originally Posted by POLAR_JEEP_04
thats were I was going to get mine, but I think 1G would have been too think. I dont see any reason to go past 2G unless its your winch wires. Do your self a favor and email rselarep@yahoo.com or PM selarep on naxja and compair prices I dont think you will regret it! let him know I sent ya

by the way where in ohio?
Cool will do that! Thanks
Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
If I might ask how much did you pay for the cables?
I cant remember off hand it has been awhile since I bought them. if intersted you can email rselarep@yahoo.com or PM selarep on naxja to get a quote. the price was very fair and much lower then others I found
Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

I can do 2AWG - I normally keep 1AWG (primary) and 4AWG (secondary distro) on hand. I figured 1AWG was a good compromise between "pure overkill", "ease of handling", and "material cost" - most HD cable makers I've seen use 00AWG - which is just too much. 1AWG will handle somewhere past 300A or so (accommodating just about all current high-output offerings) in the lenghts it's being used for in my kits - although I can get larger if you want (6AWG to 0000AWG if you need it.) I just haven't done 2AWG because no-one has asked for it.

And I do offer an upgrade path for the OEM fuses/fusible link wire used. So, if you do a Durango/V8 ZJ/WJ upgrade (136A) or a Mean Green/Powermaster (200A) or Nations Auto Electric (200A+), I can give you upgraded protection so you can take full advantage of the alternator you dropped a lot of money on (else why did you spend the money?) and not worry about blowing your OEM circuit (electrical fires suck.)

Part of the selection of 1AWG was "future-proofing" - it's got everyone covered until someone comes out with an alternator that can put out more than 250-275A with a comfortable margin for safety. The ANL fuses are easy to replace in the field (about 60-75 seconds with a 9/16" wrench and no real disassembly,) and are easier to inspect than the OEM fusible link wire or OEM fuses (you just need to see the top of the thing to look at the fuse element. The OEM MAXI60 fuses have to be pulled to be checked visually, and the fusible link needs to be found and checked.

And yes, I do also handle custom cabling for winches, racing, SAR rigs, ... All I need is measurements and requirements to figure out what you'll need!

Nothing at all against Rick's work - I've seen it, and think it's quite good! I just felt I needed to stand up for myself...

Oh - and if you want to see a writeup on my work, go to http://www.ericsxj.com/winch/winchbumper5.htm. Eric Zappe and I actually found each other when he released his book - and we traded copies to make sure we weren't stepping on each others' toes (we aren't.)
Old 05-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

I bought some cable from rick as well but my kit is a little bit different.

Although I don't really understand what the third cable for pos and neg is for

Last edited by LazersGoPEWPEW; 05-16-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 5-90
I can do 2AWG - I normally keep 1AWG (primary) and 4AWG (secondary distro) on hand. I figured 1AWG was a good compromise between "pure overkill", "ease of handling", and "material cost" - most HD cable makers I've seen use 00AWG - which is just too much. 1AWG will handle somewhere past 300A or so (accommodating just about all current high-output offerings) in the lenghts it's being used for in my kits - although I can get larger if you want (6AWG to 0000AWG if you need it.) I just haven't done 2AWG because no-one has asked for it.

And I do offer an upgrade path for the OEM fuses/fusible link wire used. So, if you do a Durango/V8 ZJ/WJ upgrade (136A) or a Mean Green/Powermaster (200A) or Nations Auto Electric (200A+), I can give you upgraded protection so you can take full advantage of the alternator you dropped a lot of money on (else why did you spend the money?) and not worry about blowing your OEM circuit (electrical fires suck.)

Part of the selection of 1AWG was "future-proofing" - it's got everyone covered until someone comes out with an alternator that can put out more than 250-275A with a comfortable margin for safety. The ANL fuses are easy to replace in the field (about 60-75 seconds with a 9/16" wrench and no real disassembly,) and are easier to inspect than the OEM fusible link wire or OEM fuses (you just need to see the top of the thing to look at the fuse element. The OEM MAXI60 fuses have to be pulled to be checked visually, and the fusible link needs to be found and checked.

And yes, I do also handle custom cabling for winches, racing, SAR rigs, ... All I need is measurements and requirements to figure out what you'll need!

Nothing at all against Rick's work - I've seen it, and think it's quite good! I just felt I needed to stand up for myself...

Oh - and if you want to see a writeup on my work, go to http://www.ericsxj.com/winch/winchbumper5.htm. Eric Zappe and I actually found each other when he released his book - and we traded copies to make sure we weren't stepping on each others' toes (we aren't.)
nice i have read that before and like your stuff
Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

I know there are different ways to go when upgrading battery cables. There are 5 cherokees in the family. I'm on #3 as far as upgrading battery cables. I didn't do number 2 the same as #1 and #3 will be different from #2. I recommend to anyone doing the upgrade to get cables a little longer than the old ones so you have working room if you need it. Since I don't have the extra accessories that others have, I went with 4guage cables from O'Reilly auto parts. You really don't have to worry about red or black as far as color goes. the only red cable I have is the 45" going from B+ to starter. When I did #2 I cut off as much of the cable going to the starter as I could without undoing the whole loom.I put a new piece of loom on the new cable and ran it beside the old. I cut the neg cable going to the block as well as the 2 small wires also grounded at the same place. This makes getting the old bolt out. I then made up a new bolt(5/16) and wired in a new ground(with #8 copper lug) and soldered the two wires I had previously cut. The wire strap at the rear of the motor going to ground on the rear firewall is not easy to get off. I just ran a new 12" 4guage ground over top of it. I had to cut one end off the cable and put a new#4 lug with a 1/2" hole to fit the 1/2" bolt at the rear of the engine. here's what I bought at the store

2- SK8412SSS $3.99 ea
1 SK8424SS $5.99
1 SK8440SS $5.99
1 SS08588 $7.99
1 08507 Batt term $3.99
$31.94 Tax $2.24 $34.18 Total The lugs I already had.
Basically the 45"red cable B+ to starter. The 40"black B- to block. The 24" black B+ to pdc. One 12" black B- to ground. The last modified 12" black Rear of engine to firewall. I will replace alt to pdc in the near future. I have yet to decide exactly how I want to do this.Just one way of doing it. I learn something each time and may do#4 differently.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by LazersGoPEWPEW
I bought some cable from rick as well but my kit is a little bit different.

Although I don't really understand what the third cable for pos and neg is for
Late model?

Three earth cables:
- Battery to Engine Block
- Battery to Chassis (not present RENIX OEM)
- Cylinder Head to Firewall.

Three hot cables:
- Battery to Starter Motor
- Battery to Distribution (PDC on 1991-up, Starter Motor Relay post on 1984-1990)
- Alternator Output to Distribution (q.v.)

Secondary distrubition may be added, as may extra grounds. However, those are the usual suspects for OEM wiring.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

my upgrades were done on a 99 and 01. I going to do my son's 92 when it gets out of the repair shop later this week. the 99 and 01 were laid out the same way. I'll just have to look at the 92 when I get it back. Another 01 is sitting in the backyard in no hurry.

Quick Reply: New and improved battery cables