Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Myles' '92 2-Door XJ...Project...

Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 AM

Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default Myles' '92 2-Door XJ...Project...

I picked up a '92 2-door Cherokee on Friday night. I found it on CL and had it within a couple hours. I paid $700 and drove it home! The last owner had just installed new brake pads & shoes and the catalytic converter and muffler are new too. My drive home consisted of a few brief stops to refill the radiator with water...he warned me the water pump was leaking, I just didn't know how bad.

Yesterday, I replaced the water pump with a re-manufactured unit, along with a new thermostat and housing. I popped a few extra bucks for new radiator hoses & clamps and a new serpentine belt. Gave her some fresh coolant and motor oil and fired her right up!

I took it out for it's first drive today and had a blast. It's a bummer there's no stereo but I'm cool just listening to the car for now. It's only the 2.5L engine, so pretty light on power, and only has 2wd, so I don't know how long before I get stuck in something.

Among a few things that could use some attention, the speedo doesn't work and the odometer stopped at 78K, so I have no clue how many miles are on it. I'm glad I got it running now, so I can at least use it regularly. I most certainly intend to overhaul all the mechanicals.

Once I get past my tuning up and repairing, I'd like to fit in Dana 44 axles front and rear, along with Rock Krawler rear coil swap and H.D. Offroad frame stiffeners. I know I'll be begging for more power with this to, so I'll have to plum something down the pipeline for that...L92?

In the mean time...does anyone know where I might go in the S.F. Bay Area to have my doors re-hung and the hinges welded. Both sides are cracked and badly mal-aligned
Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 AM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6

Holy **** another guy named Myles! Cheers!!