Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Asking for general opinions: 2-door XJs and new RC lift kits

I've been looking around for a 97-99 cherokee to replace my 96 which has giant rust holes and 202k miles. The previous owner was less than kind and I'm tired of fixing things that shouldn't go wrong.

I've found a 2-door 1997 Sport XJ with 127K and Auto trans. which a small dealership has put a new Rough Country 3.5" lift kit with add-a-leafs, new coils and new lower control arms. I've never dealt with aal's but can't imagine they'd be worse than the 3" blocks on the xj I currently drive. The price is one I'm willing to pay.

What do y'all think of 97 2-doors and what is the general consensus on new RC lifts with add-a-leafs???

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Check the door hinges as the 2 doors are known to pull the hinges from the body. The doors are longer so they are heavier and when people lean on them it wears on the weak metal. Also the front seats are different than the 4 doors because they have to be able to lean forward. They also have rear cup holders... lol.

I would love to find a newer 2 door but with a manual trans.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

a 2-door is still a cherokee. other than whats already been said, not much different. bigger rear side windows I believe. Basically, whatever you like best is what you should get. and personally, I have gone RC with my old jeep. After replacing a bunch of the parts of the kit with way better parts, all I had left were the coils and the leafs(leafs were kinds stiff). So basically, I should have just got a whole different kit. I have had good luck with Iron rock offroad(though KTM holds a grudge against their long-arms). It all depends what you're looking for.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

Hey thanks for your replies! I'm headin out to check that thing out today, and I'm not too worried about the RC lift as long as the jeep has no rust. I hate rust and am at the point where I refuse to deal with it anymore, having lost many a good 4x4 to it when I lived in VT. Like stated above, I can always just replace whatever I don't like about the RC parts once I see how it does. It sounds like a good deal from talking to the seller, and it already has a basic winch bumper too, so that'll save me from having to trim the stupid bumper plastic when I put 32s on it! I hope the rest of it checks out...

Prerunner - I probably wouldn't have thought to check the door hinges so thanks for that! ..and I do wish it was a 5-speed, but the AW4 on the 96 I have now has 200K+ on it and shifts just fine so I'll at least be used to having an auto