Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my xj build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default my xj build

After reading threads for the last week I decided to create my account and join the fun.
I currently don't have an xj but hope to purchase one within a week or two.

My name is Josh and I'm from the Albuquerque area of New Mexico. If anybody knows one for sale in my area let me know.
My plans for the jeep (for now till I buy a house)
4.5" rc x-series along with sye
Summit d series 15x8
31"x10.5 duratracs
Install my cb
Install my alarm
Install my audio equipment (that's what I do for a living)
Sliders
Armor

This will be my dd so I want reliable but something I can wheel too.

Last edited by noobxj; 01-22-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 PM

Going to look at an all black 4door tomorrow after work that has 3" and 31s, wish me luck
Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 PM

I could use some help here. Can't decide if I should go 4.5" or like 3" lift. Here's my issues:
I don't have loads of money to put into a jeep right now, but I want a streetable and off roadable rig.
If I get the x series it seems to come with lots of accys (like stabilizer, extended brake lines, etc) but I'm afraid it'll be too much money. At the same time if I get a 3" which only comes with lift and not much else I'm afraid I'll spend the $150-$200 (which is price difference betweem the two lifts) on accys the 4.5" lift comes with then I'll be shooting myself in the foot.
Also if I got a 4.5" I'll probably need to do work on axles, shafts and other components.
I've read so many posts on here and learned so much from y'all but making me rethink my plans, which I guess is good so I don't spend money on things that won't benefit me.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by noobxj
I could use some help here. Can't decide if I should go 4.5" or like 3" lift. Here's my issues:
I don't have loads of money to put into a jeep right now, but I want a streetable and off roadable rig.
If I get the x series it seems to come with lots of accys (like stabilizer, extended brake lines, etc) but I'm afraid it'll be too much money. At the same time if I get a 3" which only comes with lift and not much else I'm afraid I'll spend the $150-$200 (which is price difference betweem the two lifts) on accys the 4.5" lift comes with then I'll be shooting myself in the foot.
Also if I got a 4.5" I'll probably need to do work on axles, shafts and other components.
I've read so many posts on here and learned so much from y'all but making me rethink my plans, which I guess is good so I don't spend money on things that won't benefit me.
I vote 3". Lift doesn't dictate what you do with your R&P/axle shafts/anything like that. That has to do with wheels/tires... The further up you go the more likely you are to need a SYE, and more stuff in general. 3" is a good amount where you can get away with skipping a lot of the stuff you have to do with higher lift amounts.

Do yourself a favor and look at Zone's lifts. Also, stay away from AAL kits. And RC in general... you'll save money in the short run, but a year from now when you're replacing junk you'll be wishing you did it right the first time.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM

Thanks. I definitely wasn't gonna do AAL due to saging and the idea of using old leads and adding one is a horrible idea.
I was initially looking into RC but RE caught my attention and now I'll look at Zone.
Thanks for the input
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by noobxj
Thanks. I definitely wasn't gonna do AAL due to saging and the idea of using old leads and adding one is a horrible idea.
I was initially looking into RC but RE caught my attention and now I'll look at Zone.
Thanks for the input
RE would be even better than Zone, IMO.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 AM

Both look great and have good reviews. I have noticed people replacing RC parts a yr or so after installing them so thanks for the heads up on that.
Now I've got a better idea.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:52 PM

So what kinda axle and gears would y'all recommend with a 3.5" re lift on 31x1050?
I'm seriously contemplating buying an xj with this setup and it has a locker but not sure I want to drive it with a locked diff on the streets daily
Here's a pic of the gem i found

my xj build-forumrunner_20140201_215117.jpg