Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Woo Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993 and 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO(Both)
Talking My Woo Jeep

Hey guys. I finally started to do some work to my Jeep. She's a 1993 Cherokee 4.0 HO w/AX-15 trans, NP231 transfer case and Chrysler 8.25 rear axle and Dana 30 front(I think, lol). As of right now, I'm just trying to get her road worthy, so I can drive around as I save up for a lift and various other things I want to do. Here's the story. I got her for cheap because the transmission was on its way out. The bearings in it are shot so it sounded like I had a supercharger or a turbo or something and it didn't like going into 4th gear. But it was still running great and was drivable and I was so stoked to finally have the Cherokee I've been wanting since a was a crazy little 10 year old, I decided I'm just gonna drive it around before I fix it any way! Well ****. That was dumb. In driving it around, the oil-soaked trans mount gave out and my trans dropped a bit. That, in-turn, killed the engine mounts and my engine tilted, which caused my radiator fan to shred the little plastic shroud and punch a hole in my radiator. So NOW I finally started taking her apart and I'm beginning her operation to make her happy again. So I need....AX-15 rebuild, engine/trans mounts, clutch(since i'm gonna be in there anyway), radiator, fan shroud. While I'm under there, I think I'm gonna do the U-Joints and definitely oil cleaning...UGH. Well I started this thread, so maybe you guys can give me some pointers or just laugh at the fact that my Jeep is on scary ramps while I'm under there but I'm gonna be posting progress with pictures and all. It'll be nice when she's all done and built to crawl and then to come look over how she changed. Here's what my mom's garage looks like at the moment. Lol

Meow?

SO much oil!

Here's the jerk

Got the driveshaft out!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

Time for some purple power(cleaning). Nice project rig
Old 04-20-2010, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

Yikes, how many miles do you have. Mine is very similiar but in great running condition for now. However, early this morning I was barely awake when I had to leave for school and I went to put it in reverse without putting the clutch in. I ground the gear a bit and after a minute of contemplation I realized I needed to put the clutch in. Got to love early morning driving. Everytime I do something like that I am like I wonder how long this thing will last. It scares me.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 1-6 4.0

i think that thing loves oil. clean it up and make it better now.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:18 PM

Well the engine was rebuilt about 50K ago but everything else has 270K miles on it. Woo hoo. Its not too bad tho. Its been a California car its whole life and has almost no rust on it which is good. All that oily grease is pretty much gear oil. Gonna take out the Transfer case either today or tomorrow and have a trans place crack it open and just inspect it. It worked fine, I just want to make sure the guts are all cherry and then have it re sealed. Then I'll get the tranny out and there's a guy who will do a total rebuild and replace the case with a good used one (cuz my bolt holes in it are destroyed) for 600 bucks with year warranty. Best deal I've found so far. If you're in So Cal, this is the guy http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/1693060228.html
Old 05-12-2010, 04:54 AM

Default Got the tranny out! Woo Hoo!

Hey! I finally got my tranny out!!!!

Ultimate success!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Cool. Always good to see folks working on their junk!